FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Raw Recruit
bodoom

COD 4- iw3mp.exe has stopped working

Heres my first problem with this game. It started today, I cant join any servers and then this pops up when I exit. iw3mp.exe has stopped working. I found one solution but this is bullsh*t they should patch this immediatly. I'm just going to play TF2 for a while maybe if I feel the urge to try this method I will but others have attempted this and it has done nothing so...whatever.

There are some issues running CoD 4 multiplayer on some onboard sound cards. Users with RealTek(TM) onboard sound cards and Windows(R) Vista should try removing their sound card drivers and allow Windows Vista to install it's default sound drivers. Please make note of the make and model of your sound card prior to removing it in order to aid in reinstallation at a later date.

To remove your sound card drivers do the following:

* Open the control panel link from the start menu
* Check the programs and features tool to see if your sound card drivers are listed here
* If they are not open the system tool in the control panel
* Click on the device manager task on the left
* Locate your sound card in the list, it should be in the sound, video, and game controllers section
* Right-click on the video card name and select Uninstall.

Users with Sigmatel® onboard sound cards need to install all Windows® Vista updates, and the latest Sigmatel drivers from www.dell.com. Please navigate from the dell homepage to support, your make and model computer, and look for a sound card update.

If you are running the game from a secondary partition, download the latest BIOS updates from your motherboard manufacturer in addition to following the above instructions.

Conscript
darphbobo

Enable Stereo MIX, Vista RealTek

Enable Stereo MIX, Vista RealTek
Fixed Mine This way.

-Start, control panel
-Hardware and Sound
-Sound
-Recording Tab
-Right Click in window, chose "Show Disabled Devices"
-"Setero MIX"appeared, Right Click and choose enable
-OK

Hope this helps Some.
Conscript
Jookbox

Re: COD 4- iw3mp.exe has stopped working

i'm having the same problem. i have all the latest drivers, so far nothing works.that's what i get for installing vista, lol.
Conscript
creex

Re: Enable Stereo MIX, Vista RealTek

Thanks for the tip changing the Realtek mixed thingy worked for me.
Conscript
blvdog

Hey Guys and Gals,

I checked for the realtek thing you talked about in the hardware sounds, under control panel and I guess i dont have it. I'm still haveing the same problem as the rest of ya. I have HD audio as my sound and have the latest driver for it aswell. But seems the game still keeps giving me this error. I can play the single player no problems. I actually beat the game several times already. (sadly it's way to short). I'm not sure what else i can do to get the MP to work. Any help is more then gradified THNX

Conscript
Costau

Hi everybody.

I had the same issue, but I was able to fix it.

Here is how i did it under Windows Vista.

1. Change your default audio device to headphones
2. Start the game.

That worked for me in Windows Vista
Raw Recruit
bodoom

Yeah thats what I ended up doing.

Conscript
Nick Gnarly

Plug a mic or headphones into your microphone jack it works.
Conscript
dezzi06

THANX VERY MUCH FOR YOUR POST. I FOUND THIS MOST USEFUL

Delta Force
Callred

Some advice guys? Buy a real sound card.....

Dz
Conscript
Dz

Come on people you gotta admit this is simply badly written code.  I have had this error on three different systems.  Two systems had onboard sound.  One mobo had no onboard sound.

I have tried all systems with every possible combination of sound card, sound drivers, bios upgrades, and operating system.

The two add on sound cards are SoundMax Supreme FX and Creative Labs Fatal1ty platnum.  This is NOT a sound card or driver issue.  This is poorly written code in COD4 and activision needs to address this as such.
Conscript
shadowfury

uh, i did what bodoom told me, so my realtek is unistalled,....now how do i get it back?!? please help me =P
Conscript
ronnyalb

try plugging in a mic. or something into the microphone port like earphones even.
Conscript
itsbaer999

ok so i got COD4, beat it on single player.
Then i tried to open it up for multiplayer.  It comes up with a box that says "call of duty didnt close properly last time run in safe mode yes or no"  I have clicked both yes and no but it comes up with iw3mp.exe has stopped working.
I really want 2 play online so can anyone help???
Thanks

Conscript
Pwnado

That is exactly what happened to me!
Regular Infantry

Download the 1.4 patch and see if that works. You can get it at gamespot, fileplanet, etc.

I used gamespot you just have to sign up but its free so no worrries
Conscript
ywaitsupport

I can fix it for you. Dan Ramsey
support@ywaitsystemservices.com Y-Wait System Services Inc.Katy, TX 77449 
Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

LOL! Gotta love spammer tact. Might as well just lock the thread up, most fixes have been posted and they really should fix the problem (along with the retarded server browser issues) with patch 1.5.
Conscript
ywaitsupport

I'm sorry, I was in a hurry..
Yes, the 1.5 update and whats listed above should fix most of the issues with vista.
But some users don't know how to unpack a file.  Or setup drivers without the installer doing it for them.
 I just wanted to be helpful..

Thanks
Conscript
itsbaer999

How do i get the 1.5 updates for COD4?
should that fix most things for the vista?
will i be able 2 play online?
Regular Infantry

[ Edited ]
right here

more than likely

and yes
Message Edited by peatree on 02-04-2008 06:19 PM
Conscript
itsbaer999

I installed the 1.5 patch and my stupid computer still wont even let me open multiplayer up!
HELP ME
Regular Infantry

Did you try disabling your firewall?
Conscript
ywaitsupport

Itsbaer999,

I'm in the office all day today ...

Email me and I'll give you my Phone number..
I can remote in check your settings..

Dan  
support@ywaitsystemservices.com

Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

You can remote in and check settings? Are you kidding? Who the hell in their right mind would allow a complete stranger to remotely connect to their PC? Hell, I wouldn't let AcydRaine into my system, I mean, he seems like a nice guy and all, but honestly...
Conscript
ywaitsupport

That's why you call yourself stalker loner.
Regular Infantry

Haha, I wouldnt let anyone remote into my computer either.

Who knows what they would put on it.
Conscript
nakedsnowman

[ Edited ]
Well before the 1.5 patch, I changed K:\Games\CoD4\miles\mssmp3.asi to K:\Games\CoD4\miles\mssmp3.bak and custom maps worked fine. This is the only time the iw3mp.exe stops working. Now after 1.5 patch, same f***ing issue. Crash. Changed the file from bak back to asi and it still crashes. It's possible it's a sound issue, but I still think it's crappy code writing on an ancient OS. Since the map tools aren't even available for Vista, what makes you think that the patches are gonna work on Vista? Yes I run Vista 32 & 64 bit. This is why people think Vista blows. Because companies like Activision and IW won't update their systems and write software for current OS's. They ain't helping the cause, they're contributing to the problem.

ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe/Wireless Edition (on board sound for headset mic only)
AMD 6400 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR2 PC26400
Vista 32/64bit
eVGA 8800GT SC 512mb
Creative Labs Fatal1ty
Antec NineHundred

So I know it ain't the system that's screwed...LOL
Message Edited by nakedsnowman on 02-05-2008 04:13 PM
Coolest User with a number in his name!
sk8wnec

Shit there was this website that linked me to a file I downloaded for soundblaster and it fixed the problem. I can't find the website. I typed in "call of duty iw3mp.exe crash" and found it within the first couple hits but this was a few weeks ago.

Human Shield
FiSH

Hey, what's up with all the new posters in here?  This can't be THAT hot of a topic. 

Oh, and ywaitsupport, let's not solicit that kind of activity in here.  If you wanna drop a link to your site, that's cool.  But the whole unofficial remote connect stuff is just asking for trouble.  Thanks!

sk8wnec

hey fish, its coming up like 6th on google search when you type this problem in.
Human Shield
FiSH

sk8wnec wrote:
hey fish, its coming up like 6th on google search when you type this problem in.
Oh, ok.  Hey, let's see if we can get the top spot!  Google this . .

SQITSOPEESPURPLE
sk8wnec

lol its first of 2.
Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

So many new users because so many people are having the issue and refuse to read any of the fixes and just blatantly yell out "OMFG it happened to me!" So the page has like 100,000 views or something because it was such a widespread problem. NO ONE should have this issue anymore since it's patched up to 1.5.

Just like my Call of Duty 4 system requirements thread. Over 150,000 views. Number 1 Google spot if you search for "CoD 4 minimum requirements." And then the heaps of idiots asking if their 8800GT and QX9650 will run the game :smileyindifferent:
Conscript
nakedsnowman

So just because the 1.5 patch came out, nobody should have problems?   WTF kinda statement is that?  is 1.5 the magic number?  I guess when BF2 and 2142 come out with patch 1.5, we should all breathe a big sigh of relief that we won't have anymore problems....

Now, back to reality.

After trying all kinds of things, I went back to Creatives site and got the latest AlChemy driver.  Low and behold, I can now get on custom maps without the dreaded iw3mp.exe crash.  Coincidentally, the driver version is AlChemy v1.5....Hmmm, maybe there is something with that magic number.  LOL.  Anyway, the latest AlChemy seemed to fix my problem, while I still have the asi file as bak.

Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

Wow dude. Because a new patch is made to fix things? Hence the name patch.

Thanks for registering to whine about one game that won't run custom maps for you, kind of like most of the other users in this thread. Battlefield is a whole nother story. EA sucks at creating games and even worse at patching them. I bet the fixes for the next patch, if they patch it again, will be "Well we were going to fix something but we figured our users would enjoy the RedBug glitch again. Thanks - EA Support."

I seriously wouldn't be surprised. Activision/Infinity Ward on the other hand, are much more respected and should know better than to release useless patches. It's the way of the market nowadays. Release an unfinished game, make the profit, patch it later, poorly. Unfortunate really.
Regular Infantry

yeah no shit naked.
chill out were just trying to help
Conscript
nakedsnowman

Whine? HA. Your statement of " NO ONE should have this issue anymore since it's patched up to 1.5" is ridiculous at best. And I registered here thinking someone would have an idea that actually worked with this IW screwup. "Activision/Infinity Ward on the other hand, are much more respected and should know better than to release useless patches." Let's see,

Patch 1.1, 9days after the game was released to fix a ranking bug that would let the rank be lost when switching from some ranked-to-unranked servers. Wow, how'd the miss that one. Would seem to be a basic thing to implement.

Patch 1.2, 13-14days after release.
Patch optimizes the Lean view offset issue, addressing the glitch reported by several community members. Wow, game was unplayable with that wasn't it.

Patch 1.3, 30days after realease. This patch addresses the issue reported by community member Uzi Kidding which now catches some files bypassing the pure client test. In addition this update will set properties so that Anti-lag is always enabled upon map loads, an optimization for Sniper Rifle accuracy at certain distances, as well a fix so text chat between rounds of multi player will no longer cut out at the end. I can see the pure-client update that was needed and the sniper rifle was a POS. Chat fix, give and take.

Patch 1.4, 38days after release. This v1.4 patch improves mod support, server browser, fixes bullet accuracy, and adds a "holiday" version of the Crash multiplayer map. Yes, this was probably the best patch they've had, and probably could have waited on all the fixes for 1 patch considering only 38days into the game being available. And still NO Vista support at all. Mod tools do not and will not be available to Vista users.

Patch 1.5, 83days after release. Again, another fix to the server browser that obvioulsly wasn't completly fixed in 1.4. his upgrades 1.4 to 1.5 and is for multiplayer. Sniper scope hint only appears if you can use it. Ya, that was needed. Mod scripting available for multiplayer modding, map rotation errors with usermaps, fixed minimap not showing up in the menu for usermaps, mod tools will now work in other languages.

So out of the 5 patches, I don't see the iw3mp.exe error being addressed, or did I miss something?

The BF series is probably a tad more complex a program to write, so I would expect some issues. The red/blue bug is probably the stupidest glitch I've seen for them to not get right. But to have 5 patches in less than 3 months, seems a bit much. And to not address some of the issues most users have posted about and worry about stupid petty things that can be on hold until things that don't allow us to play the damn game in the first place, is really ridiculous. To me, it seems as if they pushed this game through too fast for the holiday season, and missed on issues that need to be addressed. It's called, QUALITY CONTROL.

Conscript
nakedsnowman

I understand you're trying to help, but to make a statement that nobody should have the issue since the 1.5 patch is stupid.
Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

The point of 1.5 was to fix the server browser not working, which was a huge problem. It went so far as to close down my internet connection when I attempted to refresh servers. Happen after 1.5? No. So it was fixed, like they said it was. Theoretically no one should have a problem with the MP .exe not working anymore because it SHOULD be fixed by now. Is it? Well I don't know because I don't have that problem. Glad you fixed it. Congrats. Crisis over.
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info