FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Read My Posts At Your Risk
sqitso

My freak monster fish!

[ Edited ]
Okay.. I am posting this again because some people don't believe that I have 21" meat eating Plecostomus fish. If you don't know what a Plecostomus is, here is a picture of a small one. You see them everywhere.

Normal Plecos are Herbavors and live off the algae in the tank. However, through some strange mutation my plecos became enormous, meat eaters. I mean I have Carnivorous, blood thirsty demons from hell in my tank. Look at the maw on these things!!

I have to keep them alone and away from all my other fish. One reason is because they eat the smaller fish and two because they actually slice up the bigger fish. Plecos are extremely hard and boney fish and they have extremely hard spines all over. They rake other fish and blind them or kill them which is what mine did. Talk about something small getting a complex. I actually keep them both in a 72 gallon tank.

I wish I could show you more, but they started to frenzy after I took this last shot. You can't see them in the photo but I have shrimp on the floor in there. Not small shrimp either. I mean good size shrimp that you would boil and eat. I leave it out over night so it gets nice and stinky and then drop it in. They go through about 1 pound of shrimp a week.

These pictures really don't do them justice as they are really scary. I should have placed something next to them so you can jusdge thier size better, but that is a 72gallon tank they are in. The largest I have found on the web is 24" so I have 3" to go before I can say I have the biggest in the world.  I believe that they are mutated freaks and are highly inteligent. Sometimes at night.. I think they plot to kill me.

This is my favorite

creepy evil eye things!!

Message Edited by sqitso on 06-08-2005 07:46 PM

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shock Trooper
Gh3tTo5oLdIeR

Re: My freak monster fish!

[ Edited ]
Those look nice sqitso. did you buy them that size?

Message Edited by Gh3tTo5oLdIeR on 06-08-2005 10:15 PM

Sharpshooter
no dice

Scary little critters.
sqitso

No I didn't buy them this size. I ran into some financial problems for a while though. I coudn't clean the tank. Since they lived on Algae I figured they would be okay. The water got so dirty you couldn't even see through the glass. The water really stank and believe it or not I just assumed everything was dead in it. I didn't want to mess with it. So finally one day I decided I would empty this big ass tank and sell it. When something thrashed around in the water like a shark. It scared the hell out of me. So I drained down the water and saw these huge things. They where probably half as big as they are now but you can still imagine the surprise. I guess all that filth was super grow food for these things.
Field Marshal
FS-Pongky

Couple of freak shows.... damn, they are scary.  I wouldn't know about "world record" - but they must be up there.  Puts my 3 tiny goldfish in a 15 gal tank to shame =P

Now, what if you put smaller fish in that tank, would it become like entertainment to see the 2 big dudes cut'em up?  I've seen them in pet stores, they are only like 4-5" long there.   They eat 1lb of shrimp a week?  Boy, they eat better than me.

Oh, and what are their names sqits?  "anal" and "probe" ?
Black Ops
Egglick

Yeah....I've seen plecostomous get pretty damn big. One of my buddies has a 125 gallon with some huge plecos in it, but they're only about 12-15" long. Yours will probably continue growing.

I'm not sure that all that shrimp is really a healthy diet though. Even smaller fish love to eat meat (bloodworms, etc) but it shouldn't be their staple food, as they're likely not getting alot of vitamins. I'd give them a mixture of large flakes and algae wafers as well. Continue with the shrimp, but maybe lower the quantity.
Black Ops
jwhx

Geez. Those things are huge. I'm only used to seeing the little tiny ones. I never could keep them alive. come to think of it, I never could keep any fish alive. I guess I'm just not an aquarium kind of guy.
Image Created by Indigo196
Shock Trooper
chemgeek

I think it is time to clean that tank.
sqitso

If you want to know a secret.. Plecos are actually cat fish. They are scavangers and the dirtier the environment, the more they can eat. Can fish have some sort of filter in them that alows them to filter bacteria from the water and they can actually survive on that as well. Cori do the same thing. Sure you see people feed thier coris but it is not nessasary. I do have to feed my plecos because there is not enough bacteria in the tank to keep them healthy. You couldn't see the fish at all if I let it get that dirty.
Shock Trooper
chemgeek

but bacteria does not require dirt to survive.  Increase the temp a bit (if they can handle tropical water temps) and maybe add a touch of sugar.
Raw Recruit
`Blitz

Wow those things are monsters! Jesus sell those carcases to the smithsonian or something just let them get as big as they can. Thats pretty weird that they lived so long and thrived in a dirty tank.
Field Marshal
FS-Pongky

So, sqits, what did you name the twin freaks?
Veteran Rifleman
One Fan To Another

[ Edited ]
     Dude, NOOO!  Plucos' are adaptive fish that will grow to accomodate their surroundings; in this case your fish tank.  By going, "Hmm, they seem to be getting bigger, I think I'll put them in a bigger tank." they only grow bigger themselves.  YOUR ASSISTING IN THE GLOBAL TAKE OVER OF THE PLUCO!

Edit: Oh, and they can only keep growing if you are supplying them with enough food.  So stop feeding them so damn much, dude!

Message Edited by One Fan To Another on 06-09-2005 06:03 PM

Conscript
sargentgoober

after reading the last post i say GET AN ASS MASSIVE TANK and lots and lots of food MAKE THEM huge............................hahahaha they remind me of those little plastic things u put in water and watch grow and they get huge and slimey
-Ryan
Coolest User with a number in his name!
sk8wnec

What do they do all day? Just stick to the sides of the tank?
sqitso

Nah.. they have fun hunting the live shrimp I have been getting them. The are fast but the shrimp are faster.
Shock Trooper
Gh3tTo5oLdIeR

Hey Sqitso what size tank is that? I had to go out and buy me a pleco after seeing yours, I also got me a betta fish.
sqitso

Gh3tTo5oLdIeR wrote:
Hey Sqitso what size tank is that? I had to go out and buy me a pleco after seeing yours, I also got me a betta fish.

72 gallons. It's about 20 years old.
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info