FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Reply
Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure
Posts: 4,496
Registered: ‎08-12-2009

EA is now the worst company in America

Veteran Rifleman
Natedog51
Posts: 4,072
Registered: ‎01-11-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

I don't really hate EA, at least not as much as BoA, but I do agree that movies and music have come down in price and video games seem to become more and more expensive with less single player gameplay. There are, of course, a few exceptions to the rule but for the most part I agree with the article in the pricing.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Regular Infantry
jacobvandy
Posts: 1,135
Registered: ‎08-29-2006

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

I'll bet angry Mass Effect fans organized to make this happen.
Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure
Posts: 4,496
Registered: ‎08-12-2009

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

[ Edited ]

jacobvandy wrote:
I'll bet angry Mass Effect fans organized to make this happen.

4chan's /v/, to be specific, and the BioWare forums.

 

EA's reponse. To be fair, Halliburton won the award back when the contest started in 2006, BP won it in 2010, and AIG got in 2008. BofA won three other years.

Photobucket
Delta Force
Callred
Posts: 7,538
Registered: ‎03-23-2005

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

[ Edited ]

In very real ways, we need banks in order to function in today's world. The banks taking advantage of that should never be tolerated. But in no way should a game industry giant be put into the same catagory as a bank .

 

No one makes you buy that game. If the game is worth that much to you, then buy it and go play it. It's not life or death. Wait for the prices to come down, vote no with your money by not buying the same damned game three or five times with new numbers on the package if you feel cheated.

 

But for god's sake, get some perspective.

(not aimed at anyone here...)

Field Marshal
bysmitty
Posts: 9,231
Registered: ‎09-28-2005

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

[ Edited ]

I think this is just god damn sad.  Out of all the corrupt and sleazy companies out there ruining peoples lives, polluting the planet, and buying their way around the rules, we vote a video game company as the worst company in America?!  Seriously, WTF is wrong with people!  Sure, EA ain't the white knight Valve or CD Project are but come on, their worst crimes include charging $10 for content that should be included with a game, doing away with paper manuals, and not selling a few of their products on Steam.  Big. Flipping. Deal.  Plus, why are we punished EA when they are on of the few game publishers releasing consistently high quality games.  Just in the last few months we have Battlefield 3, SSX, The Old Republic, Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect 3, and Syndicate which are are all well received games that offer great gameplay experiences.  They're not all perfect but that hardly qualifies them for 'Worst Company in America'.  It's sad, this award could be used to send out a message to the real 'evil' companies that we're watching them and don't like what we see.  Instead we use it to chastise a perfectly legitimate company for not meeting our demands at every turn.  There's democracy for ya I guess.

 

 

...bysmitty

Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure
Posts: 4,496
Registered: ‎08-12-2009

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

[ Edited ]

The banks in question have won the award multiple times. They don't care because they will take your money, either with your permission or through the government, and can stay afloat without direct interaction with consumers. EA, on the other hand, relies exclusively on their consumers so a frivolous online poll may actually have more of an impact than not (evidenced by EA being the first "Worst Company" to comment). If anything, this poll helps bring attention to one of the world's largest entertainment industries and the poor practices industry leaders take.

 

Boycotting any major publisher like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft is ultimately pointless. For every dedicated gamer there are hundreds of casual ones that will gobble up their products. To swear off their titles is to basically swear off gaming altogether. Voting with your wallet doesn't have the same effect in the video games industry unless the mainstream does it too. That is why some people are going to absurd lengths to shame EA: in the hopes that other people catch wind and join in.

 

I don't think EA is the devil. Like Smitty said, they've been releasing new IPs and trying their best to resurrect old ones like Syndicate. But there are valid points, mostly to do with pricing and ownership of products (DRM) that some industries have long ago dealt with but not gaming. At the end of the day it's just a silly poll and most people voted EA in for fun.

 

Here's an interesting take on the issue by Forbes.

Photobucket
Veteran Rifleman
Harvester
Posts: 2,348
Registered: ‎01-07-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

It's an online poll, it means absolutely nothing. With major polls like these, there's always one or multiple communities that decide to rig the poll by mass voting.

-------------------
Regular Infantry
jacobvandy
Posts: 1,135
Registered: ‎08-29-2006

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

[ Edited ]

Obviously it meant something, as Sync pointed out EA is the first company ever to be voted the worst in this poll to come out and acknowledge it. And it was basically a "**bleep** you" thinly-veiled as an affirmation of confidence instead of a sincere "we'll try to do better," which just makes them look worse.

It's true that EA isn't on the same level as the big banks or oil, but that's what makes it mean more to them. Any company raking in billions of dollars per quarter with a product or service that is required by most people TRULY doesn't give a rat's ass what we say, but a company that lost $200 million last quarter selling luxuries is a hell of a lot more concerned with public relations of all kinds. Or they should be, at least.

 

Voting this way in the poll wasn't about trying to objectively determine the most evil corporation out there, it was about drawing mainstream attention to a subject people are passionate about. In that, they succeeded. You wouldn't so much as bat an eyelash if BoA or BP or whoever won this title yet again...

Regular Infantry
werepossum
Posts: 3,120
Registered: ‎11-04-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America


bysmitty wrote:

I think this is just god damn sad.  Out of all the corrupt and sleazy companies out there ruining peoples lives, polluting the planet, and buying their way around the rules, we vote a video game company as the worst company in America?!  Seriously, WTF is wrong with people!  Sure, EA ain't the white knight Valve or CD Project are but come on, their worst crimes include charging $10 for content that should be included with a game, doing away with paper manuals, and not selling a few of their products on Steam.  Big. Flipping. Deal.  Plus, why are we punished EA when they are on of the few game publishers releasing consistently high quality games.  Just in the last few months we have Battlefield 3, SSX, The Old Republic, Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect 3, and Syndicate which are are all well received games that offer great gameplay experiences.  They're not all perfect but that hardly qualifies them for 'Worst Company in America'.  It's sad, this award could be used to send out a message to the real 'evil' companies that we're watching them and don't like what we see.  Instead we use it to chastise a perfectly legitimate company for not meeting our demands at every turn.  There's democracy for ya I guess.

 

 

...bysmitty


This, completely.

Black Ops
jwhx
Posts: 12,487
Registered: ‎03-02-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

Eh.....It's an online poll. That usually means anyone in the recent limelight is going to take a huge hit. With people going on and on about ME3, EA taking the top spot isn't a shock much like BP with the gulf spill.

I find myself chalking it all up to "First World Problems". I mean...come one....it's a video game publisher FFS.

Also, there's a simple solution to your bank issues. Join a credit union. It's exactly like a bank, except they aren't in it for profits. Hell, if the profit too much, they'll give it back to their members.
Image Created by Indigo196
Read My Posts At Your Risk
sqitso
Posts: 15,728
Registered: ‎09-08-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

EA doesn't have to be a good compant.. They have Madden

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Veteran Rifleman
One Fan To Another
Posts: 2,657
Registered: ‎01-09-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America


Callred wrote:

In very real ways, we need banks in order to function in today's world. The banks taking advantage of that should never be tolerated. But in no way should a game industry giant be put into the same catagory as a bank .

 

No one makes you buy that game. If the game is worth that much to you, then buy it and go play it. It's not life or death. Wait for the prices to come down, vote no with your money by not buying the same damned game three or five times with new numbers on the package if you feel cheated.

 

But for god's sake, get some perspective.

(not aimed at anyone here...)


     This is exactly correct.  The topic I've probably been the most repetitive about, over the years on this forum, is that the video game industry is as it is entirely by the fault of the dumb-ass consumers that make up its market.  Steam comes out, everyone hates it, then every loves it (Origin will get the same treatment).  Episodic games come along, everyone hates it, but everyone buys it.  Everyone complains about VG prices but everyone keeps paying (DLC - same thing).  Blah blah, etc, etc.

     Every problem with the VG industry is the fault of chronicly ailed consumerism addicts.  All EA is doing is exactly what America stands for - free market Capitalism.

Veteran Rifleman
One Fan To Another
Posts: 2,657
Registered: ‎01-09-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America


bysmitty wrote:

I think this is just god damn sad.  Out of all the corrupt and sleazy companies out there ruining peoples lives, polluting the planet, and buying their way around the rules, we vote a video game company as the worst company in America?!  Seriously, WTF is wrong with people!  Sure, EA ain't the white knight Valve or CD Project are but come on, their worst crimes include charging $10 for content that should be included with a game, doing away with paper manuals, and not selling a few of their products on Steam.  Big. Flipping. Deal.  Plus, why are we punished EA when they are on of the few game publishers releasing consistently high quality games.  Just in the last few months we have Battlefield 3, SSX, The Old Republic, Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect 3, and Syndicate which are are all well received games that offer great gameplay experiences.  They're not all perfect but that hardly qualifies them for 'Worst Company in America'.  It's sad, this award could be used to send out a message to the real 'evil' companies that we're watching them and don't like what we see.  Instead we use it to chastise a perfectly legitimate company for not meeting our demands at every turn.  There's democracy for ya I guess.

 

 

...bysmitty


     How the holy a$$-nuts is Valve a 'white knight'?!  I'm so God damn tired of fan boys proclaiming this absolute bulls**t.  Valve created Steam, for Christ's sake.  I veritable smorgasbord of low priced garbage to sucker masses of weak minded gaming addicts.  Steam is the Cash For Gold of the video game world and no one is willing to admit it.  Valve also prioneered (not necessarily created) episodic gaming.  Which, now, we know was a massive mistake that not a single person on the planet is any longer in favor of.

 

     F**k Valve, and f**k their appologists.

Sharpshooter
ICDP
Posts: 3,366
Registered: ‎01-07-2004

Re: EA is now the worst company in America

Episodic games only work if your name is "Telltale Games"
Regular Infantry
grey_area
Posts: 1,465
Registered: ‎07-20-2008

Re: EA is now the worst company in America


One Fan To Another wrote:

     How the holy a$$-nuts is Valve a 'white knight'?!  I'm so God damn tired of fan boys proclaiming this absolute bulls**t.  Valve created Steam, for Christ's sake.  I veritable smorgasbord of low priced garbage to sucker masses of weak minded gaming addicts.  Steam is the Cash For Gold of the video game world and no one is willing to admit it.  Valve also prioneered (not necessarily created) episodic gaming.  Which, now, we know was a massive mistake that not a single person on the planet is any longer in favor of.

 

     F**k Valve, and f**k their appologists.



While not quite so opposed to Valve and Steam as this post, I must say I do share a lot of the sentiments.

---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info