FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Read My Posts At Your Risk
sqitso

Can you pull your own wisdom teeth?

So I have a very large jaw. One of those guys that has a full head of 32 teeth with no problems. As a matter of fact.. my jaw is so pronounced that I actually have room behind my wisdom teeth for more teeth. Unlike most people that if they are lucky to have thier wisdoms, they are a pretty tight fit. He lies the problem. Somehow or another I have a hole in the back of my mouth behind the wisdom tooth. Not really on the gum, more like on the gum wall that is behind the wisdom tooth, facing the front of my mouth. Most likely the result of something like a corn chip falling back there while chewing and stabing into the wall.

Now the hole seems to be irrated and or infected.. it hurts a little bit. I'm not in pain.. but I know it's there. I cleaned it out and gargled some peroxide to clean it.. but I need to really get in there and clean it good. The damn tooth is in the way though. It's not making things easy.

Can I pull a wisdom tooth just like any other tooth.. or are they hardwired into my skull and that is why everyone always goes to a dentist for them?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Delta Force
Callred

Re: Can you pull your own wisdom teeth?

This is one time Sqits, when all I can say is; go ahead and try it, then report back to us how it went... 

Brigadier General
yoda_blues

It depends on the tooth and whether it is impacted or not. Wisdom teeth can grow in straight like regular teeth and never cause a problem. But they usually grow in sideways, pushing against your molars. This prohibits growth, so the tooth never leaves the jawbone. You need to see a surgeon to have them removed cause they generally need to cut into your jawbone a bit to get them out.

That being said, I'm with Callred, try it and let us know how it went! :smileyhappy:
Black Ops
Bowhunters

From the experience that I had with one of my wisdom teeth getting pulled I would say it really depends on the person, my teeth are in very good shape also and I own all my teeth except for the top left wisdom tooth that I have to have extracted a few years ago.

My dentist is extreemly well qualified and when he tried to pull it he had lots of trouble and even though he about had his knees in my chest pulling on it all he succeeded in doing was breaking the tooth and leaving the majority still in, he then gave up and I had to go to a dental surgeon and he had to cut my gumline and even then he had trouble but finally extracted the tooth and sewed it closed.

He informed me that mine was one of the worst he'd ever seen on not wanting to come out and he appeared to be in his 50's, he told me that some people the molars and wisdom teeth come out fairly easily but on other people like myself the molar's seem to have a death grip and are extreemly hard to remove.

If I were you i'd go to the dentist, have the hole 'irrigated' to get any rotting food debree out of the gum (which is likely causing the infection) and then maybe they can just sew the hole closed so it can heal up.

11 Bay InWin Q500 Tower - Antec Tru Power Trio 650 PSU - 3 Case Fans - ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP - Intel E6600 - 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 - EVGA GTX260 216 - Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS - 2ea 400GB Seagate SATA300 HD's - NEC 3550A DVD-DL - Toshiba Floppy - Pinnacle AV/DV Deluxe TV Card
Regular Infantry
parrina

hey im just gonna throw my 2 cents in here
i wouldnt attempt to do it yourself because you may be in for a world of hurt
i had a couple of wisdom teeth extracted a bunch of years ago and it an was extremely painfull experience
cutting into the gums ,pulling then sewing everything back up and then the healing process
its something i wouldnt want to go through again
my advice is to go to a professional for some advice then move on from there
INTEL E8400
ASUS P5Q
OCZ VENDETTA 2
ANTEC 300
COOLER MASTER REAL POWER PRO 750W
OCZ DDR2 800
SAPPHIRE HD 4850
SAMSUNG 22" LCD
Delta Force
Callred

^ Had all four pulled at once....   on a local...  not fun.

Sharpshooter
ICDP

sqitso wrote:
Can I pull a wisdom tooth just like any other tooth.. or are they hardwired into my skull and that is why everyone always goes to a dentist for them?
Maybe this is just me, but I go to the dentist for ANY teeth I need pulled.

I almost kept some my wisdom teeth, only because I had already had so many other teeth pulled they sorta fit (I have big teeth). Got some bad decay though so we decided just to get rid of them.
sqitso

callred wrote:
Oh bajebus.. a buddy of mine did that.. He went to Cyrix Clinical Research because they are cheaper. They are a research facility so they work cheap to experiement. Well he went in because one of his teeth was bad.. and they told him they would pull his bad wisdom tooth for $300. However.. they said they had a program to test some pain meds.. and if he let them pull all four of them.. they would pay him $500. So he said sure.. They pulled all 4 wisdom teeth.. handed him a check for $500 and gave him a nice big bottle of PLACEBO. No shit. He wound up getting something called Dry Socket on 3 of the teeth and was in so much pain he missed 2 weeks of work. Then he had to fork out next to 500 for all the vicodine he was popping.
Delta Force
Callred

^ God I feel for him. I had a dry socket once from a tooth extraction when I was a kid. I may be wrong but I  think I'd rather pass a kidney stone...  those things hurt like hell. I can't imagine three at once going down like that.  

Shock Trooper
chemgeek

They should have a nerve connected to the jaw as any healthy tooth should.  You might want to go to a dentist to have that checked out and he/she can refer you to an oral surgeon.  Unless of course that job at Intel does not have dental insurance? <--that would be kind of strange, one would think Western Dental or some HMO dental at least.  Insurance usually covers 80% of procedures so shouldn't cost more than $200 or so out of pocket.
Green Cadet
nethog

callred wrote:
Had all four pulled at once too.  Liquid Demerol and Valium.  Lots of fun!  Wife had to keep checking on me because I would forget I had a cigarette in my hand and I kept burning my fingers listening to the stereo.  Of course that was 30 years ago...
---------------------------------
CM HAF 922 | Corsair 850TXPSU | Asus Rampage III Gene | i7-950 @4.210ghz | Noctua NH-U12P | Galaxy GTX 580 | 3 x 2gb Corsair Dominator 1600 | 2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 64-bit
Green Cadet

callred wrote:
 This is one time Sqits, when all I can say is; go ahead and try it, then report back to us how it went... 
I think that response takes it.

Squits is freaking crazy so I guess it is ok for him to try it and get back to us after he fights through the pain long enough to type and hopefully after he stops bleeding all over the place.

Really,... Squitz... I would go see a professional. He might just be able to clean the hole for you without the need to yank-crush your tooth.

Lenovo T500 * T9400 * 4GB * 320GB * Switchable Graphics * Intel 5300
Green Cadet
nethog

indigo196 wrote:

callred wrote:
I think that response takes it.

Squits is freaking crazy so I guess it is ok for him to try it and get back to us after he fights through the pain long enough to type and hopefully after he stops bleeding all over the place.

Really,... Squitz... I would go see a professional. He might just be able to clean the hole for you without the need to yank-crush your tooth.
Absolutely.  Don't take the chance that you might fudge it up and make things worse.  Recovery from the surgery to correct your surgery is liable to be both painful and entirely unnecessary.
---------------------------------
CM HAF 922 | Corsair 850TXPSU | Asus Rampage III Gene | i7-950 @4.210ghz | Noctua NH-U12P | Galaxy GTX 580 | 3 x 2gb Corsair Dominator 1600 | 2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 64-bit
Raw Recruit
mikecdmm

I don't see how anyone can attempt to pull one out on their own.  You'd have to have the biggest pair just to try that.  I had all 4 of mine pulled out at once and the cheap medical only coverd tylenol w/codine.  The dentest had one hell of a time pulling them out.  He got them all out without cutting or surgery, but he was pulling damn hard. 

Gigabyte P35 DS3L || Q6600 w/TRUE @ 3.3 || Corsair XMS2 (2x1gb) || EvGa 8800GT || SG 7200.10 320gb || WD 250gb || Antec P182 || Antec True Power 430 || Pioneer DVD-RW || Sony DVD ||
sqitso

Well my pain threashold is amazing. I have reset my own broken bones and sewn myself up plenty of times.. but from what I gather there isn't a whole lot of pain on wisdom teeth until the nerve is exposed. In reading.. they say most of the time the tooth comes out and the nerve stays in the jaw and which point the dentist simply grabs it and pulls the nerve right out. However.. without pain killers.. they say it is impossible to grab the exposed nerve without excrutiating pain. So even if I pull it.. I may be down and out if I can't get the never.

Yes I have insurance.. but the people that take it are booked until march.
Shock Trooper
chemgeek

So find another place that takes the insurance. 
Regular Infantry
johnnm

There's definitely a nerve that runs *very* near under your wisdom teeth. I don't say this to warn you of pain, but because if you something happens to that nerve, part of your tongue can go permenantly numb. Happened to my sister and friend who both got their teeth extracted by an oral surgeon. Wikipedia is claiming this type of injury is "rare", but it doesn't seem that way to me. I recommend getting it removed professionally, and reminding the surgeon before hand to please please please be very careful and aware of such complications.
Green Cadet
18-DELTA-MRD

any reason why you wouldn't just go to the dentist?
I remember that when I had mine done the dentist had to pry one out with a metal bar. lots of blood.
if you go ahead with this perhaspa a video documentry would be in order? morbid fascination in all of us.
my rig? who cares what I got.
Photobucket
sqitso

18-DELTA-MRD wrote:
any reason why you wouldn't just go to the dentist?
I remember that when I had mine done the dentist had to pry one out with a metal bar. lots of blood.
if you go ahead with this perhaspa a video documentry would be in order? morbid fascination in all of us.
It's just a time thing.. one of the reasons I dread going to get my oil changed.. or anything else. I can't stand sitting still. Yes I'm taking pills for that too but I cannot stand waiting. I get very nuts. It also feels like I am wasting time there when I could be doing something else. So I fix stuff at home because it is faster. Yes yes.. people think that sounds stupid and logically it is.. but the way my brain works it's not to me. I mean if I can just rip it out with a pair of plyers in 5 mins.. that is a heck of a lot better than a wasted day at the dentist.
Veteran Rifleman
stuffedewok19

I don't like waiting around much either.  I got my wisdom teeth pulled last fall, though.  Other than waiting 10 minutes in the lobby, there was no sitting still while I was conscious.  They knocked me right out for about 45 minutes and I woke up and left.  The entire time I was at the oral surgeon's office was about 1 and a half hours.

Black Ops
Bowhunters

[ Edited ]

stuffedewok19 wrote:
I don't like waiting around much either.  I got my wisdom teeth pulled last fall, though.  Other than waiting 10 minutes in the lobby, there was no sitting still while I was conscious.  They knocked me right out for about 45 minutes and I woke up and left.  The entire time I was at the oral surgeon's office was about 1 and a half hours.
Yours came out easy, between my dentist and then the surgeon on the same day I was in the chair for about 3 hours for one tooth.   :smileysad:  

Message Edited by Bowhunters on 01-28-2008 01:31 AM
11 Bay InWin Q500 Tower - Antec Tru Power Trio 650 PSU - 3 Case Fans - ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP - Intel E6600 - 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 - EVGA GTX260 216 - Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS - 2ea 400GB Seagate SATA300 HD's - NEC 3550A DVD-DL - Toshiba Floppy - Pinnacle AV/DV Deluxe TV Card
Veteran Rifleman
stuffedewok19

Ouch.  Were you asleep?

sqitso

stuffedewok19 wrote:
What was your after care like? Pain in the ass?
Green Cadet
18-DELTA-MRD

all i got to say is "Dry Socket"
go to the dentist dude. short trip for an infection from the jaw to the grey matter.
my rig? who cares what I got.
Photobucket
Green Cadet
Humanoid_1

crazy **bleep**er! LOL

go with the pro who has already probably messed up a load of times to learn from and knows how to make it right if things don't go quite to plan.

could save you a lot of pain waiting for a trip to the dentist anyway...

good luck either way bro  :smileyhappy:
---------------------------------------------
Appreciate what you've got, but don't dwell on it

Gigabyte X58A-OC
Xeon X5650 @ 3.8GHz 1.25vcore
Noctua NH-D14
12GB Kingston LoVo 1,600MHz 8-9-8-21
Asus 7950 Direct CUII TOP @ 1.1GHz
HDD's - Lots of Seagates
Antec P182 with Seasonic S12 500W Silent
sqitso

heh.. well I had my wife "a soon to be nurse" and a girlfriend "a real nurse" look down my mouth at the same time. They both said it looks like damage from crunching on something and that the teeth are fine. Luckily they used some proby things and a water pick and cleaned it all out for me.. then put some lanocain in the hole with some tremite gauz. Tasted like crap but the pain stopped and it doesn't taste bad anymore.. hopefully it will heal over and I won't have any more problems.
Brigadier General
ZeroGuardian

sqitso wrote:
heh.. well I had my wife "a soon to be nurse" and a girlfriend "a real nurse" look down my mouth at the same time. They both said it looks like damage from crunching on something and that the teeth are fine. Luckily they used some proby things and a water pick and cleaned it all out for me.. then put some lanocain in the hole with some tremite gauz. Tasted like crap but the pain stopped and it doesn't taste bad anymore.. hopefully it will heal over and I won't have any more problems.
Damn I can't believe your wife is cool with that. :smileysurprised: LOL

If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.
Green Cadet
Humanoid_1

sounds a whole lot better than some DIY dentistry

maybe owe them a few drinks for that saving  :smileywink:

would hate to have just ripped out one of my wisdoms only to find it was fine
mates would have taken the piss forever if they found that one out  LOL

though still woulda been a touch kinda pleased with myself for having the guts to go for it and follow through
---------------------------------------------
Appreciate what you've got, but don't dwell on it

Gigabyte X58A-OC
Xeon X5650 @ 3.8GHz 1.25vcore
Noctua NH-D14
12GB Kingston LoVo 1,600MHz 8-9-8-21
Asus 7950 Direct CUII TOP @ 1.1GHz
HDD's - Lots of Seagates
Antec P182 with Seasonic S12 500W Silent
Veteran Rifleman
stuffedewok19

sqitso wrote:

stuffedewok19 wrote:
I didn't have to go back for any follow up appointments.  My mouth hurt like a bitch, though, for a few days.  I pretty much didn't eat the whole first day, then the second day I just had milkshakes and stuff.

sqitso

stuffedewok19 wrote:

sqitso wrote:

stuffedewok19 wrote:
I didn't have to go back for any follow up appointments.  My mouth hurt like a bitch, though, for a few days.  I pretty much didn't eat the whole first day, then the second day I just had milkshakes and stuff.
Did they sew the holes closed or just stuff that stuff in the holes?
Veteran Rifleman
stuffedewok19

They sewed them shut.  It was the type of stitches that fall out on their own after a while.

Black Ops
Bowhunters

stuffedewok19 wrote:
They sewed them shut.  It was the type of stitches that fall out on their own after a while.
Thats what the surgeon did on mine also.
Green Cadet
smm505

I have a similar problem to yours.... except the hole is where my wisdom tooth should come in except it won't because it's sideways....

my dentist told me to get all my wisdom teeth removed... they don't hurt me so I'm not in a rush to get it done...

anyways... my dentist stressed to me that a hole in this location can very bad! he explained that the location is ripe for infection... also this area of the mouth is very vital to your jaw... there are 5 muscles that intersect at this location.. any infection can quickly damage and spread throughout these muscles (not good)

i don't think it would be a smart move to remove it yourself you could risk damaging muscles that can't be replaced...

as with everyone else i suggest seeing a dentist... if time is an issue for you just think an hour appointment could prevent a lifetime of pain and complications...

sqitso

Well since it was cleaned out it feels a lot better. I am using peroxide wash to keep it steril and am being sure to clean it out good when I brush my teeth.. I'm gonna give it a week or so and see what happens. The wife says the mouth is one of the fastest healing places.. so we will see what happens.
Veteran Rifleman
stuffedewok19

Uh...I thought the mouth was the slowest healing place.

sqitso

stuffedewok19 wrote:
Uh...I thought the mouth was the slowest healing place.
Nah.. only if the damaged area isn't left alone.. IE: sticking your tongue in the hole of a missing tooth.. or constantly scratching it with a toothbrush
Blooded Grunt
AMDnewbie2005

Lets do it man, i get the video camera and you get the ice skate like in the movie Castaway :smileyveryhappy: Then i knock you out right after so you don't feel any pain, or get drunk beforehand maybe? My dentist tells me to brush with hydrogen&peroxide then with regular toothpaste maybe you should try it.
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info