FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Human Shield
FiSH

Amazon: UPS Ground to FedEx SmartPost

I've never liked FedEx for their shotty delivery times and shortage of options for non-signature delivery.  It appears that Amazon dropped UPS in favor of FedEx's SmartPost delivery and my first experience is a bad one.  I was expecting two packages today, the smaller one delivered by the regular mail carrier despite the FedEx SmartPost transit.  My second package never arrived despite a guaranteed delivery date of today.

When I go to Amazon's tracking page, it takes me to a message stating that a delivery was "attempted" at 1:28pm - yet I was home all day and even and doing yard work in my front yard from 12:30 to 2:30.  My daughter was also sitting on the front porch off and on in anticipation as the package was for her.  Needless to say, I am NOT pleased.  The last thing I need is a reason to dislike Amazon.  Looks like I have one now. 

Read My Posts At Your Risk
sqitso

Re: Amazon: UPS Ground to FedEx SmartPost

I think UPS may be going out of business. I ordered some stuff from Newegg.. I ALWAYS get my orders in a timely manner from UPS.. this last time. It was Fed-Ex.. The f*cking driver left a hard drive on my doorstep in an friggen appartment coumminity. It's not like it's a private doorstep to a home.. 100s of people walk by my front door every hour.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

YES! I thought it was because of the apartment I'm in but UPS always leaves shit on my door for other people to take (a $700 phone was stolen). And FedEx never delivers on time (my 3-day guaranteed delivery took 6). They also gave my package to the lobby versus my residence without telling me. USPS was the better of them all ironically.

Photobucket
Regular Infantry
jacobvandy

If you don't get a package on time when you pay for 1/2/3-day delivery, you contact them and get your money back. For the shipping, I mean, I've done that a couple times.
Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

[ Edited ]

It was free. But still, guaranteed should mean what it means.

Photobucket
Hairdresser
Squiddy

[ Edited ]
That's weird, I've never had a problem with FedEx, I must be an exception. UPS absolutely destroyed one thing that I had shipped so I never went back.
Black Ops
jwhx

I've had more bad experiences with UPS than FedEx. I've noticed that FedEx will only leave a package at my apartment door if I sign a form saying they can do so. UPS....several times the driver has called me to ask if it was ok to leave it. All of those times the stuff hasn't be fragile to I told to just toss it up on my balcony. I still tend to us the post office to send stuff though as they are cheaper.
Image Created by Indigo196
Black Ops
Egglick

Here's how I would rank them from best to worst:

FedEx Air
UPS Air
UPS 3-day Select
UPS Ground
USPS
FedEx Ground
* the rest

Air packages are generally treated with much more care than Ground.  FedEx even uses completely different facilities and delivery trucks for Ground vs Air, and there is a significant dropoff in quality of service.

As for Amazon's "free" delivery service, it's bottom of the barrel garbage.  Their "drivers" pull up in rusty old Grand Ams with boxes piled in the back seat.  It's a joke and looks completely unprofessional.  I've also had at least three (3) packages lost by these companies in the past couple months.  Amazon promptly refunded my money for their own items without even looking into it, meaning this must be a frequent occurance.  One of my items was bought from a 3rd party and shipped through Amazon.  They initially told me I needed to contact the 3rd party, but refunded the money after I threw a fit.  Be warned that Amazon may not always refund for 3rd party purchases.  If you're buying 3rd party with free shipping fulfilled by Amazon, be VERY careful.  You're basically buying from an unknown seller with absolutely no guarantee the shipment will arrive, and little recourse.

Human Shield
FiSH

I guess my issue with FedEx has been the lack of options for non-signature delivery. My deliveries via FedEx have been delayed and even returned to the shipper on more than one occasion.

FedEx also allowed a neighbor to forge my signature. I went from door to door asking neighbors about the package but no one spoke up. I then called FedEx only to be told that the driver falsely defended himself, swearing that the package was delivered to me at at my address. The opened package wound up on my doorstep the next day, likely at the hand of my neighbor who decided that its contents were of no interest. I never found who got it and I knew that I wouldn't due to the signature forgery. Anyway, the FedEx guy showed the recipient my name before the package was signed for and that is totally unacceptable.
Black Ops
Egglick

Yeah, that's pretty shitty on the part of both of them.  If you really wanted to press the issue, you could demand to see the signature and also get the driver into some trouble.

Your best bet for solving ongoing signature issues would be to talk to a driver who isn't a douche.  Try to catch one of them and explain the situation and see what they suggest.  People in the office or taking complaints on the phone don't really experience how things work in practice.

Human Shield
FiSH

^ I did see the signature. It was viewable online. I raised that point heavily too. But FedEx decided to remain on the driver's side of the argument.
Black Ops
jwhx

What I usually do with both FedEx and UPS is will call my deliveries. Once they try to deliver it once, I hop on their websites and told them to hold my packages at the nearest facility. For UPS, it's at their distribution center not far from my job. For FedEx, it's usually the Kinko's near my apartment. Sometimes for ground it's their facility next to the cookie factory. God damn that place smells amazing. Sometimes for Air I can just swing by their facility at the air port and get it the same day they tried to deliver.

The difference between FedEx Air and ground is pretty damned amazing. Air is great...ground sucks. I can't tell you amount of packages I've had in my hands delivered via FedEx ground only to have the tracking info still say it's still two states away. I actually know a guy who works for FedEx Air and he can't stand the ground side.
Image Created by Indigo196
Human Shield
FiSH

Well, my second package arrived - no signature required. What the hell was the "attempt" for??? It was a damn DS game, so it wasn't like two couldn't fit in my oversized mailbox. Attempt my ass.
Master Ninja
gregorov_14

I haven't had an issue with any service myself, but there was one package that got delivered to a different street... Thankfully the neighbors were nice and brought it over (that was years ago though, and I forget who failed).  Of course, I live in an apartment where if I'm not home, maintenance signs the packages and I pick them up after work.  So it only sucks when I get out of work late and I have a package I'm expecting. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
megatokyo
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info