FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Human Shield
FiSH

Earthlink vs. AT&T DSL

I currently use Earthlink's DSL.  I have their 1.5MB service and I pay $39.95 per month.  That is my actual billed amout.  No taxes or extras.

Earthlink's DSL product has been extremely reliable, despite the "best effort" speed rarely exceeding 1.3MB downstream.  However, Earthlink's customer sevice sucks.  Even so, I rarely have to contact them.  I haven't experienced any downtime in the past year.  It's been nice.  Playing games via Xbox LIVE has been very smooth. 

Yesterday, I was contacted by AT&T, who I have my phone service through.  Their 1.5MB service is $32.99, plus any applicable State taxes, which I'm sure there are none since I'm not currently being charged for them.  Their 3MB service is $37.99, and if I order now, I can get it for a 6 month introductory rate of $17.95.  This also comes with $50 cash back and a $75 Visa gift card.  So, good deal.

Still, I'm a bit skeptical of making the change due to some BS I was fed by the customer service rep during my first call.  But, of course, that may or may not be representative of the actual service.  I'm looking at this with an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.  But the increased speed would be cool.  Also, they said that the service would be through a dedicated line rather than a shared one, which is what I have according to the rep.  As a result, speeds would be up to par with the advertised speed.

Also, since Earthlink is under AT&T's umbrella, I'd be able to keep my Earthlink e-mail and continue to use their e-mail program.  Again, a plus.  But I need some feedback from others who have the service.  I'd hate to make a hasty decision and experience frequent outages and additional fees as a result. 

Should I make the change or stick with what has been working for me for quite some time?  Once again, we're talking about double the speed on a dedicated line for less money.  Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!
Black Ops
jwhx

Re: Earthlink vs. AT&T DSL

Chances are that even though you are using Earthlink, they are leasing bandwidth from ATT. Switching wouldn't really up your speed and besides, 1.3 on a 1.5 connection is damn good. If you're happy with what you have and the price you pay, then stick with earthlink. With that being said, I'd get 3.0 connection from ATT. Less price and more bandwidth. I've used ATT before for dsl. Actually, I had a 3.0 connection and I loved it. I got around 2.7 only had one outage and it was back up when I got home from work and never did have to call their customer service. Right now I'm wishing I had gotten another dsl connection than gone with this wireless. It works but can be extremely flakey and it ain't cheap but I can take it with me which is kinda cool.
Image Created by Indigo196
Black Ops
Bowhunters

[ Edited ]
I have ATT DSL and its very good, its been down very little only in very severe storms but I live in the country on the edge of the burbs so its probably mostly due to my being on the edge of their dsl service area.

Here's a list of their DSL plans from basic on up to their top plans. 

Even though AT&T quotes the $14.99 price for the basic plan you can get the service for $10 a month for the first year (read this) but i'm sure the basic plan is gonna suck for online gaming.

Message Edited by Bowhunters on 06-26-2007 12:45 PM
11 Bay InWin Q500 Tower - Antec Tru Power Trio 650 PSU - 3 Case Fans - ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP - Intel E6600 - 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 - EVGA GTX260 216 - Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS - 2ea 400GB Seagate SATA300 HD's - NEC 3550A DVD-DL - Toshiba Floppy - Pinnacle AV/DV Deluxe TV Card
Green Cadet
St_Patrick

PS2Fish wrote:
I currently use Earthlink's DSL.  I have their 1.5MB service and I pay $39.95 per month.  That is my actual billed amout.  No taxes or extras.

Earthlink's DSL product has been extremely reliable, despite the "best effort" speed rarely exceeding 1.3MB downstream.  However, Earthlink's customer sevice sucks.  Even so, I rarely have to contact them.  I haven't experienced any downtime in the past year.  It's been nice.  Playing games via Xbox LIVE has been very smooth. 

Yesterday, I was contacted by AT&T, who I have my phone service through.  Their 1.5MB service is $32.99, plus any applicable State taxes, which I'm sure there are none since I'm not currently being charged for them.  Their 3MB service is $37.99, and if I order now, I can get it for a 6 month introductory rate of $17.95.  This also comes with $50 cash back and a $75 Visa gift card.  So, good deal.

Still, I'm a bit skeptical of making the change due to some BS I was fed by the customer service rep during my first call.  But, of course, that may or may not be representative of the actual service.  I'm looking at this with an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.  But the increased speed would be cool.  Also, they said that the service would be through a dedicated line rather than a shared one, which is what I have according to the rep.  As a result, speeds would be up to par with the advertised speed.

Also, since Earthlink is under AT&T's umbrella, I'd be able to keep my Earthlink e-mail and continue to use their e-mail program.  Again, a plus.  But I need some feedback from others who have the service.  I'd hate to make a hasty decision and experience frequent outages and additional fees as a result. 

Should I make the change or stick with what has been working for me for quite some time?  Once again, we're talking about double the speed on a dedicated line for less money.  Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, ALL DSL is on its on line because its yor phone line, whereas cable is a shared line.
Delta Force
Callred

I had Bellsouth's DSL (now AT&T) for three years and never had the first thing bad to say about it. I also had great line quality was less than a mile from the demark....

Black Ops
Bowhunters

St_Patrick wrote:

PS2Fish wrote:

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, ALL DSL is on its on line because its yor phone line, whereas cable is a shared line.

Yes it is, thats the positive of DSL and negative of Cable internet.

On DSL your own phone line is your own bandwidth.

On Cable internet you share your bandwidth with your neighbors if they also have cable internet, it can get bad if they are on line the same time as you are.    Sometimes a whole block can be on the same bandwidth if one tv cable goes behind all the homes the length of the block.

11 Bay InWin Q500 Tower - Antec Tru Power Trio 650 PSU - 3 Case Fans - ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP - Intel E6600 - 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 - EVGA GTX260 216 - Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS - 2ea 400GB Seagate SATA300 HD's - NEC 3550A DVD-DL - Toshiba Floppy - Pinnacle AV/DV Deluxe TV Card
Human Shield
FiSH

Bowhunters wrote:

On Cable internet you share your bandwidth with your neighbors if they also have cable internet, it can get bad if they are on line the same time as you are.    Sometimes a whole block can be on the same bandwidth if one tv cable goes behind all the homes the length of the block.

If that's the case, I was fed a lot of bullshit.  The guy said that the DSL line I'm using was a dedicated one and that the connection was shared with any other Earthlink DSL customers in my area.  He also said that there were a limited number of slots for the AT&T DSL.  Just so many could be activiated in one area.  I call bullshit again. 
Black Ops
Bowhunters

[ Edited ]

PS2Fish wrote:

Bowhunters wrote:

If that's the case, I was fed a lot of bullshit.  The guy said that the DSL line I'm using was a dedicated one and that the connection was shared with any other Earthlink DSL customers in my area.  He also said that there were a limited number of slots for the AT&T DSL.  Just so many could be activiated in one area.  I call bullshit again. 

If you currently don't have a phone line connected in use and you currently use cell phones or Cabletv internet phone for your home phone and your area has a limited number of available AT&T phone lines and your area is almost maxed out then he could be right in that there are limited number of connection slots.

There's really no need to have a dedicated line for DSL though, on dialup internet a person would need two phone lines if they wanted or needed to be able to talk on the phone at the same time while on the internet but on DSL that requirement isn't valid.

On DSL with one phone line all you do is connect filters at all the phone jacks, several filters come furnished in the AT&T installation kit with the DSL modem and instructions cd, the filters allow the DSL internet to operate and your phones to also work, all on the same line so two phone lines aren't needed.

If the salesman is trying to talk you into two phone lines, one for DSL and the other line for the phones he's screwing you because you'll be charged for the extra phone line and you don't need it.

Message Edited by Bowhunters on 06-27-2007 06:20 PM
Human Shield
FiSH

Bowhunters wrote:

If the salesman is trying to talk you into two phone lines, one for DSL and the other line for the phones he's screwing you because you'll be charged for the extra phone line and you don't need it.

Nah, he wasn't saying that.  I get the picture though.
Black Ops
jwhx

^ I think that the salesguy was just confused or knows enough to be dangerous about what goes on when you use a company like earthlink for DSL. Even though you pay earthlink, you are still using ATT systems to get to the internet. Earthlink will lease a large chunk of bandwidth from ATT to use for its customers. Let's say Earthlink leased 50mb from ATT. Technically, that 50mb is divided up among the Earthlink clients in your area. It doesn't mean that you are fighting for bandwidth like cable though. You get your 1.5mb and no one else does. So if you and your neighbor use Earthlink, you each get your own 1.5mb chunk and there is no competion between you two. With cable, a large chunk of bandwidth is provided for your neighborhood. Let's say 10mb. If you are the only one using it, great. You now have that entire 10mb all to yourself. However, if other people start logging on, 2 more for example, your bandwith is now 3.3mb.
Image Created by Indigo196
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info