FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

Thief Deadly Shadows Demo out.

Cool.  I played the demos of the older Thief games when they came out, but never got around to buying one.
I love when companies release a game, then release a demo soon after.  3D Gamers
Yo
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

Re: Thief Deadly Shadows Demo out.

Took a while for the severs to open up, but I finally downloaded it and ran though the tutorial and about 3 minutes of the first level.  I'd play more but it keeps crashing to desktop when I try and rebind certain keys. 

The good:  Great lighting system.  Looks better than Splinter Cell so far.  Physics almost as cool as Deus Ex.  You can pick up and toss a lot of junk lying around, but for some reason it doesn't look quite as nice as Deus Ex.  Excellent atmosphere.  The silhouette of the character as he sneaks around is amazing.

The Bad:  Consolified.  Things 'Glow' and have an arrow overhead when they can be picked up.  Kinda ruines the mood.  And when you do pick up a box, you dont' see it in your hands.  And when you throw it, it just flys out of your body like you're some sort of Jedi.  The crashing(though I don't hold that against it, unless its in the retail game too)  Seems that you can sneak insanely close to people and not be noticed.  In the tutorial mission, you snatch something off a well lit table, right between two guys talking and they don't notice. 

Anyone else give it a go?
Yo
Conscript

I just finished the demo--thanks for the link. I agree with the good you mentioned, especially the part about atmosphere.

About the bad: it wasn't console-d as much as I feared. The levels are pretty big, or at least feel big because you're creeping around slowly through them. The no-hand-on-boxes thing didn't bother me much, probably because the previous thief games were like that and I got used to it.

The way the interactable objects glow blue is kind of silly though. In the previous thief games they would just glow slightly brighter; that effect did the job and was less intrusive. On the other hand the loot glint is nice and subtle.

It ran OK at low quality 800x600 on my GeForce 4400/Athlon 2K. I'll buy the game after I upgrade my system.
Raw Recruit
TheDarkEye

good demo, well worth the big download. now all i need to decide is whether to buy the pc or the xbox version.
Brigadier General
Efstathios

the original thief was one of my favorites... perhaps i should try this one out too... OH SNAP! I have Dial-up Internet... I will wait for the game to come out first.....
Game Optimizations Guru, Firingsquad ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~// Benchmarking rig: FIC AU11 mobo, Athlon 2600+, 768MB DDR 333, 20GB HD, Various GFX cards. Secondary(Home) PC: ASUS P4S8X mobo, Pentium 4 2.8 533Mhz, 256MB DDR333, 10GB PrimaryHD, 80 GB secondary storage drive, 250GB SATA third storage drive, Radeon 8500
Regular Infantry
navyseal

I downloaded the demo. I played it on my old P4 2.0 ghz with 512 mb of memory and a 9500 pro. Ran like crap. Absolute system hog. But it runs seamlessly on my 3.6 P4 system. I like it.
Conscript
sirwar

I think its as good, if not better, than the other thiefs so far.

The way things glow when you are able to select interact is the same way they always were, if memory is correct. Doors always glowed, as did things you could steal.  The loot glitter solves a problem in the first 2; which was that you didn't know what was and wasn't loot. You running around trying to pick up everything just in case.

The melee is worse...but its also less effective. The point of this game isn't to kill everyone. In the previous games you could use a simple "kiting" technique to kill every guard in a building. I get the feeling they don't want you daggering the entire castle to the grave.

The bow being crooked(gangsta style) is kinda hard to get used to. as in the complete lack of momentum in the arrows. after about 20 feet if you aim for the head, you hit the crotch.

*Shrug* good game, though.

[ Edited ]
The demo is pretty good, reminds me a bit of Manhunt minus gory execution moves.  BTW if you have played thru Manhunt using all the varying executing styles, watching the Nick Berg execution(getting his head sawed off alive) is going to be a cake walk. way easier.

Message Edited by in-tel on 05-31-2004 09:41 PM

------AMD X2 3800, 6800 GS AGP, 2048 DDR333
OLD SPEC
AMD XP2100, 6800 GS AGP(from Radeon 9700), 1024 PC2100(from 512) 2x 3D increase for 300 dollars------

Field Marshal
FS-Pongky

Efstathios wrote:
the original thief was one of my favorites... perhaps i should try this one out too... OH SNAP! I have Dial-up Internet... I will wait for the game to come out first.....

Dude, you were telling me the other day you got DSL after stopping your cable service... and now dial-up?  Man, that's the stone age!
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info