FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Human Shield
FiSH

Prey 2 Cancelled

An announcement is expected next week confirming that publisher Bethesda has cancelled develpment on the sequel to Prey.

That is all.

Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

Re: Prey 2 Cancelled

[ Edited ]

But whyyyy. The premise was pretty cool. :smileysad:

Photobucket
Regular Infantry
jacobvandy

Says who?
Read My Posts At Your Risk
sqitso

Cancel doesn't mean much. A current developer may see the completed project as a loss, and feel they could make more by selling it to someone else. Prey is no Duke Nukem or Call of Duty. Anyone could remake the new Prey and no one would care one bit if it wasn't from the original developers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

sqitso wrote:

Cancel doesn't mean much. A current developer may see the completed project as a loss, and feel they could make more by selling it to someone else. Prey is no Duke Nukem or Call of Duty. Anyone could remake the new Prey and no one would care one bit if it wasn't from the original developers.

An ironic statement considering neither Duke Nukem nor Call of Duty are by their original developers anymore.

Photobucket
sqitso

Synchronous Failure wrote:

sqitso wrote:

An ironic statement considering neither Duke Nukem nor Call of Duty are by their original developers anymore.

Good point.. and I guess case made. No one gave two shits who made them. They still bought them.

Blooded Grunt

This is just a rumor, Fish, come on man - we can't believe everything we read.

Photobucket
Regular Infantry
jacobvandy

Re: Prey 2 NOT Cancelled

Here's your announcement, finally. It's not cancelled, but not coming out this year like they planned. Popular theory now is that they were planning to cancel it, but public outcry proved they'd be stupid to do so:

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/04/19/prey-2-update/

Field Marshal
bysmitty

That's awesome news.  Waiting is never fun but the game held a ton of promise and had generated quite a bit of positive buzz.  I'd much rather them take the time to tool the game up right instead of releasing a crap game or axing it altogether.

...bysmitty

Human Shield
FiSH

And already the news has changed. It's now being pushed back beyond 2012 due to "unsatisfactory" development. Apparently someone said "we can do better."
sqitso

FiSH wrote:
And already the news has changed. It's now being pushed back beyond 2012 due to "unsatisfactory" development. Apparently someone said "we can do better."

If I remember right.. we waited like 12 years for the first Prey because everyone kept saying the same thing

---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info