Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Field Marshal
GX-WarSpite

Painkiller Review discussion

Got questions, comments?

Regular Infantry
In-Tel

Re: Painkiller Review discussion

Anyone got a trainer to unlock Trauma and all tarrot cards? I.e. do you have a save game that has everything unlocked including saving up to the last level from Trauma?
------AMD X2 3800, 6800 GS AGP, 2048 DDR333
OLD SPEC
AMD XP2100, 6800 GS AGP(from Radeon 9700), 1024 PC2100(from 512) 2x 3D increase for 300 dollars------

Regular Infantry
In-Tel

Only annoying thing is the secrets are super hard to find. They really pushed the envelope for unlocking cards.
------AMD X2 3800, 6800 GS AGP, 2048 DDR333
OLD SPEC
AMD XP2100, 6800 GS AGP(from Radeon 9700), 1024 PC2100(from 512) 2x 3D increase for 300 dollars------

Conscript
salman

I agree with your assesment of the multiplayer generally, but you neglected to mention the People Can Fly 'mutator' if you will. This is the most fun I've had in a multiplayer FPS since Q2 Rocket Arena. You know what I'm talking about, the quick thinking and exact aim required in order to take out your opponent while trying to avoid your opponent's rocket. It's a rush, and something that's been long missing during the days of slow moving CS and what have you. Air rockets abound in this game, and beware the wall, since it's the easiest area to frag your opponent.

Now only if they had more maps, and some variations in the maps themselves like ledges or jump pads this mutator could be enough to ignore deathmatch completely. Vhoosh, the mutator where the weapons change every minute, and the other mutators just weren't much fun comparatively.

Meh for the singleplayer. My little brother is playing it, and that's fine, but I'd rather put my time into Far Cry and Prince of Persia. Also playing Planescape Torment, which has very good story, but the graphics do suck when compared to Neverwinter Nights.

Overall, I think Painkiller has no future online. No mod support out of the box, and a lack of maps as well, are going to keep it from ever being a game that'll join the ranks of CoD, BF, UT or of course CS in online play.
Conscript

what are the chances of seeing ctf added to the game? that is what i miss most from quake1, ctf with the grappling hook :smileysad:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Ben Franklin
Conscript
Nash

I think the single player game is pretty good [mindless violence if you will]. The only screw up IMO is that they didn't include co-op in this game. Other than that and the fact that the game requires a powerful rig to play I think the games pretty cool.
Conscript
Bee Stroyer

I cant believe this game got 81 and doom 3 got 85. Doom 3 was pathetic, and this was quite enjoyable. The reviews on each didnt seem to mention Painkillers ragdoll effect and Dooms lack of any effect. Painkillers highlight was its zombies going A over T backwards. Doom 3 i found myself shooting walls hoping something would happen.

Please Firing Squad.... Drop dooms score to less than 80.
Sharpshooter
Swaid

[ Edited ]

Bee Stroyer wrote:
I cant believe this game got 81 and doom 3 got 85. Doom 3 was pathetic, and this was quite enjoyable. The reviews on each didnt seem to mention Painkillers ragdoll effect and Dooms lack of any effect. Painkillers highlight was its zombies going A over T backwards. Doom 3 i found myself shooting walls hoping something would happen.
Please Firing Squad.... Drop dooms score to less than 80.

Doom's lack of any effects? Are you sure you were playing Doom3? Painkiller was just mindless killing of hordes of enemies. Kind of like the original Doom and the many spin offs after that. For some reason I was able to play through Doom3 but got bored of Painkiller half way through, go figure. Maybe you are new to the 'mindless shooting' genre and Painkiller was a new concept to you, who knows.

Message Edited by Swaid on 10-11-2004 10:57 PM

INTEL | C2Q Q9300
ASUS | P5E-VM HDMI
G.SKILL | 2GBx4 (8GB) F2-8500CL5D
ASUS | EAH4850
SEAGATE | 2X 500GB SATAII (RAID 0)
ASUS | DRW-2014S1T DVD-+R/W
SILVERSTONE | SG02B-F
SILVERSTONE | ST50EF-SC 500W PSU
DELL | 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Conscript
Bee Stroyer

Serious? Ok, Doom 3 gave the graphics card a work out, but if you played it for 5 minutes, you've played the whole thing. The scenery never changed! Who the hell builds a factory that is just a maze of corridors? Who lights a factory with 1 candle power globes? The whole game was just silly, and nothing new whatsoever.

Painkiller's levels were very varied. One minute your in an airport with planes, cargo containers, cranes and bad guys with machine guns, the next its a wooden town with zombies throwing meat and witches on broomsticks. And the final level was awsome. Although not the best game around, it was certainly more original than doom 3.

Dont tell me im new to anything. Ive been a nerd like yourself for quite some time.

Im just dissapointed with most FPS's these days.
Black Ops
jwhx

It's called atmosphere. I'd say it's pretty much impossilbe to create a creepy game with everything well lit. If you've ever been inside any large industrial complex, esspecially an underground one like Hoover dam, you'll notice that there are indeed lots of hallways and not all of them are very brightly lit. Sure I found the lack of light annoying but it added to the suspense. Plus, if you are in a room with no external windows and the power goes out, guess what......it's really freakin' dark. My office is like that. I enjoyed doom3 but I didn't expect too much from it because nothing about it is original at all. While I have painkiller I haven't fired it up yet. From what I hear about, it does what it does quite well. If you're going for the mindless shooter, you need a variety of levels to keep things interesting. If not, players get bored quickly. Now, I don't need lots of plot or anything fancy to have fun. Hell, I had blast with the serious sam games and look forward to the next one. But to say one is so much better than the other is just a matter of opinion much the same way a review is. 
Image Created by Indigo196
Conscript
dback618

Repetitive is the best word for Doom 3.

After the 276th imp ambushed you from a corner or the 172th Zombie walked out of the trapped door that just opened after you had passed....I'd say most normal people would get bored of it.

By the way, who cares if the room is well lit or not? If they want scary stuff, they can do it with happyland as the setting, but instead they chose this cheap "shock you till you shiver" tactic that simply left no impression on anyone.
P4C 2.8ghz 1GB Geil PC3200 P4P800E-Delux 9600 PRO 80GB Maxtor
Veteran Rifleman

It seems like everyone gave into the hype for Doom3, and now they're disappointed. And because of that, games like Painkiller and Farcry are receiving more praise than they deserve (also including HL2, which isn't even out yet). People are comparing these games to Doom3 instead of judging them for what they are. Personally, I disliked Doom3, Painkiller and Farcry. All three became very boring after only a few hours of play, and if a game has to rely entirely on its multiplayer to give lasting enjoyment, it isn't worth spit, imo. Either game developers have lost their touch, or I've seen everything there is to see in gaming, and anything new is just plain stale to me.
Conscript
Bee Stroyer

[ Edited ]
Oh no... dont bring FarCry into this. FarCry had good AI, drivable vehicles, awsome scenery, freedom to walk in most directions, and HANG GLIDERS. Its was leagues infront of Doom, Painkiller, Halo and the likes.

I havnt read Firing Squads review on it. I might just do that now.....

[edit] ahh, there isnt one.

Message Edited by Bee Stroyer on 10-14-2004 05:24 AM

Black Ops
jwhx

I think the biggest issue with FPS's is making them original. It's impossible. I say this because we've seen just about everything there is to see in them. I loved far cry up until it started throwing monsters at you. Dealing with the fantastic AI of the mercenaries and their realistic human behavior was a blast. Then suddenly all you have is creatures running straight at you begging to be filled with holes. By their nature, no fsp is original. They are like movies sequals. Are they fun? Yes, but it's nothing we haven't seen a hundred times before. The best you can hope for these days is bits originality scattered in a sea of done it before. I also agree, doom 3 was way too repetative and didn't need to be that long.
Conscript
pj19

I stilll play Warcraft 3 religiously, and also CS:smileyfrustrated:ource.  With WoW and HL2 on preorder, my life will be over.
Conscript
hellasweet

I have been playing painkiller for a while and I think its awesome. The graphics and the gameplay are really good IMO. I also like the horror theme of it all with all the demons and monsters. My favorite "looking" level has to be the "Town" where they try to recreate the plague by having carts for the dead and piles of smoldering corpses. I love the zombies and how they throw their organs at you. Ha! If a parent saw the stuff in this game they'd freak but I love it!

Yes, its a run and gun mindless, violent game but its so much fun as well.

The graphics are gorgeous and the ragdoll effect is sweet. I love shooting a bad guy with the nail gun and watch him get pinned to the wall, thats a morbid joy of mine.

Also, I noticed in one level, the bad guys were running around, cutting other bad guy's heads off in a spurt of blood!

What is your favorite weapon? I love the stake gun. I love the accuracy and how it arches the farther it goes like in real life.

Human Shield
FiSH

What I'm looking forward to is Half Life 2!  It's gonna be in stores soon and it looks awesome!  Are you planning on getting it?

Black Ops
jwhx

Doom3 for me.....all the way.
Human Shield
FiSH

jwhx wrote:
Doom3 for me.....all the way.

Hey, that's coming out soon too!
Veteran Rifleman

HL2 is going to be a total disgrace and nobody is going to like it.
Human Shield
FiSH

Geise wrote:
HL2 is going to be a total disgrace and nobody is going to like it.

Dude, you're DREAMING!  It's going to be great!  It's going to blow Halo 2 in the dirt!  If you haven't heard of Halo 2, check out GameSpot.  They've got some really cool screenshots for it!
Black Ops
AcydRaine

No way, screw Halo 2 and HL2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is gonna p0wn with it's pack hunter creatures and it's warring factions for artifacts.

Update 2005: still Vaporware.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz
Zalman CNPS9500LED
Asus 890GX Pro
2x2gb OCZ Gold DDR3-8500 (changing this out soon!!! Got it for 50$ though so I had to.
XFX HD 5770 @ 950/1250
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Vizio 42" 1080p LCD
XBL - XxAcydRaynexX / PSN - AcydRaine Add me fools!!
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info