FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Conscript
sirwar

DOOM 3 IS SWEEEEEET!

While we have pre-orders at Gamestop, we couldn't wait until Tuesday.

BitTorrent!  By micromanaging 3 internet connections(6/1 DSL, cable, T1) we managed to get it in 3 hours. (argh! me matey.)

Its the exact opposite of Daikatana syndrome...its the game you've been waiting for that should be amazing, and it is.  But to be more specific, here are my first impressions:

You NEED a gig a ram. No "if"s.  Maybe 768 if your system is highly optimized and lean..but even then you want a gig.  We have 3 gaming-quality systems in our house, and the performance and load times scale perfectly with the amount of ram.  I was getting windows low page file warnings with 512 physical and 768 of page file. My roommate on the gaming laptop with 1 gig of SODIMM does better than me.

I can't describe how beautiful this game is, because its not superficial beauty, its functional.  unified lighting = wow. Its got the pixel shader shine sometimes, but its to a much less degree than UT, or at least it fits better. ! complaint, and I think it must be an xbox trait...everything in the game is rounded and/or looks perfect. -- Except people's heads have low-poly style blocky tops. No Carmack curved surface skulls here.  The faces are perfect, the motion and expression, etc are awesome.  Just the blocky tops of heads.  I only make a big deal because among all the diamonds, its the only rough.

The sound is stuponfucious. Flawless.  Aparently I haven't heard anything until I played with headphones, although I'm planning on migrating my computer to the livingroom Home theater.

The atmosphere is perfect. Everything looks real, everything sounds real, the scripted/triggered parts don't feel pre-made.  Its scary.  I honestly need other people in the room to enjoy the game.  When the guy's pulse rises, and your slowly walking up the stairs, and the monster busts THROUGH the stairs right in front of you....System Shock 2 was scary, but ultimately predictable.  Doom 3 is only predictable in that you know in every room, there is at least 1 mean thing hiding.

This is just after about 1-1.5 hours of gameplay(I had to work today).  I don't know how things will progress, if it'll get boring or whatever.  But for now, oh man.

Re: DOOM 3 IS SWEEEEEET!

What do you mean micromanaging it?
------AMD X2 3800, 6800 GS AGP, 2048 DDR333
OLD SPEC
AMD XP2100, 6800 GS AGP(from Radeon 9700), 1024 PC2100(from 512) 2x 3D increase for 300 dollars------

Conscript
sirwar

[ Edited ]
Using Azerus (sp?) which is a BT client, you can manage BT connections with a lot of detail. See who your connected to, how much your giving/getting from each person, you can snub people and not share with people who aren't uploading to you, etc. And the more you upload to a certain person, the higher priority you are on their list of people to send to.  So running 3 clients of that(on 3 different connections) all downloading, we can tell another client to work on getting the files another is not getting, and basically provide our own fills.  Running on different swarms with different seeds you can get various files faster than on others, and sometimes you just get lucky with who you connect to.  Doom 3 is the largest Torrent I've ever seen.

Message Edited by Sirwar on 08-02-2004 11:32 AM

Well, at least we know that the people at PC Gamer weren't paid off with their 93%.
Veteran Rifleman

When you say "need" a gig of ram, what texture settings 'n stuff are you using?
Conscript
sirwar

Okay, this might be a little biased, but I feel, as a single player game - not to mention as THIS single player game - you need to play it at at least high quality. Also, the game looks MUCH better in 1280x1024 as opposed to 1024.  So imo, "need".
I will be buying more RAM ASAP, but I have expensive ram, so I gotta wait until I can afford some more of the same.

I would like to play at Ultra Quality with 1280, but without more than 512 ram, it page loads every few seconds, and stalls for a good amount of time whenever I open a door.  At high quality with 1024, it still does both things, but its shorter and less frequent.  If you've played FarCry with too little ram, you know what I mean.  I know its not video problems, because it also takes me about 5 minutes to load a map that someone with a slower system and more ram loads in roughly 45 seconds.

The settings in Doom 3 for graphics are odd in that there are not seperate sliders and whatnot for every little setting. The advanced tab consists of stuff like shadows/AA, however I can change quality modes, and it wont change those settings. Changing quality modes seems to do a lot more than just change the res and checking those 5 boxes in advanced.

Also, those stupid Quality sliders ATI cards have that don't seem to effect the quality of any game...set on low, they seem to make Doom 3 really fuzzy.  Like almost unreadable. Like Carmack said, though, this game uses parts of your video card that likely no other game has touched.  Overclocking the tinest bit seems to result in artifacting, and I have a Thermaltake Giant III on my video card.  My roommate needs to replace the side panel of his case with a 20" box fan to keep his 9800pro AIW from artifacting at stock clock.

Needing more ram at high settings at a high res just goes without saying. I'm sure I'll be able to run it just fine at lower settings with only 512 :smileyhappy: (as I do in Farcry) This is the only game that has ever made me want to spend massive amounts of money on pc hardware :smileyvery-happy: I hope I can hold out until late this year at least...
Conscript
[QC]Rubber

I have a P4 2.8c with a x800 pro, 1 GB of RAM.  I play the game at 1600x1200, at high quality with 2x AA.  It runs ok with one or two enemy, but when a shit load wants to kill me at the same time, then it gets pretty laggy.  But who cares, I play this game more to explore than for the action, cause it sucks for gameplay.  No recoil, can't prone, can't lean, boring weapons....  There is nothing new here, just good graphics.  I prefer Far Cry, and a lot more. I'll still play to feel the atmosphere they've created, for that they did a good job. 
Conscript
sirwar

So...gameplay is defined as being able to play Counter-strike on everything?

OMG NO RECOIL! And is there any reason to go prone in a tiny hallway surrounded by zombies?
I don't think you have a problem with the game, you just want the game to be something its not. Rainbow 6.

Sirwar wrote:
So...gameplay is defined as being able to play Counter-strike on everything?

OMG NO RECOIL! And is there any reason to go prone in a tiny hallway surrounded by zombies?
I don't think you have a problem with the game, you just want the game to be something its not. Rainbow 6.

heh...you can't go prone in CS...:smileyvery-happy:
Delta Force
Trogdor

Figures. Sirwar is just another one of the 50,000 (and rising) pirates of Doom 3. Hopefully he actually preordered the game as well, but I doubt it. At least have the intelligence to not go blatantly announcing that you have pirated the game - not on FS anyway. You could have just claimed to be one of the "lucky few" that got it on Friday. Oh, well.
      Gigabyte GA-DQ6-X38 | Core 2 Quad Q6600
CPU @ 9x367 (3.33GHz) | OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
2 x ATI HD 3870 CrossFire | 750GB and 320GB HDD
Conscript
sirwar

I said at the beginning that I have it preordered....they said they would have it today, but the bastards lied, so tomarrow then.

Using Iron Will, I refuse to play the game until me logitech z-680s come in on thursday...  Even though the game sits ominously upon my monitor taunting me in all its glory.  I've waited for these speakers and this game for a long time, 3 more days will not kill me...  I hope:smileyvery-happy:.
.:The General:.
Shock Trooper
ripfire

milehigh696 wrote:
Using Iron Will, I refuse to play the game until me logitech z-680s come in on thursday...  Even though the game sits ominously upon my monitor taunting me in all its glory.  I've waited for these speakers and this game for a long time, 3 more days will not kill me...  I hope:smileyvery-happy:.

Doubtful. I'll give you 8 hours until you crack. :smileyvery-happy:
Green Cadet
milehigh696

I'll keep you posted, a straight jacket may be necessary though...:smileyindifferent:
.:The General:.
Green Cadet
Thorn1001

Now I know this is off topic but how do I get the bit torrent dl oif the game?I have the bittorrent thingy
My computer:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
E8500@4.1 cpuv 1.3
4 gigs OCZ Platinum rev.2 PC8500 @2.14v
260GTX 700/1400/2400
1 TB WD Black w/32 mb Cache
X-fi Gamer
Thermaltake Xaser2000V Full tower case
Antec Earthwatts 650
Green Cadet
Thorn1001

Now I know this is off topic but how do I get the bit torrent dl oif the game?I have the bittorrent thingy
My computer:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
E8500@4.1 cpuv 1.3
260GTX 700/1400/2400
X-fi Gamer
Antec Earthwatts 650
Raw Recruit
Atomos

Thorn1001 wrote:

It involves you not being a cheap **bleep** and going out and buying the game. From a store. Legally.
Conscript
sirwar

[ Edited ]

Atomos wrote:

Thorn1001 wrote:

It involves you not being a cheap **bleep** and going out and buying the game. From a store. Legally.

I am a firm believer in 'Try Before You Buy'.  There is no demo yet....however, to Mr. Thorn, I wont explain exactly how to go about pirating a game on this website, because I do have a respect for what FiringSquad stands for, at least to me.  You have google, you figure it out.

Message Edited by Sirwar on 08-03-2004 04:13 PM

[ Edited ]
Well I always do buy it, but from all the things ive heard Id like to try it first and not pay the 55 bucks if I dont like it.Yes, if I had a demo I wouldnt have to get a copy to try.

Message Edited by Thorn1001 on 08-03-2004 04:34 PM

My computer:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
E8500@4.1 cpuv 1.3
260GTX 700/1400/2400
X-fi Gamer
Antec Earthwatts 650
Delta Force
Trogdor

See, that's the problem with pirates. There is nothing that says you should get to "try before you buy" with software. Here's a wonderful hint: read some magazines and websites and get reviews of a game if you can't bear to part with your money on a lackluster game. As a proud owner (*cough*) of Jurassic Park: Trespasser, I can definitely say that blindly purchasing games is a bad idea. However, PC Gamer has a review of Doom 3 as do several online sites. Almost everyone is saying that it's an awesome game and worthy of purchase. If you hate FPS games, I doubt it will change your mind, but if you like them, chances are pretty damn good that you'll enjoy Doom3.

I would wager that 90% (or more) of people that "just downloaded the game to try it" end up no buying the game. Maybe none of them would have purchased the game anyway (because they're cheap-ass freeloaders), but that still doesn't make it okay.
      Gigabyte GA-DQ6-X38 | Core 2 Quad Q6600
CPU @ 9x367 (3.33GHz) | OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
2 x ATI HD 3870 CrossFire | 750GB and 320GB HDD
Conscript
sirwar

Well if theres nothing that says I should be able to try it first, there should be.

I have read reviews giving it straight 10s. But tons of people have Halo straight 10s. Some people are retracting their high scores on Doom 3 for very low scores. So who am I to believe?

Also, just because you bought a lame game doesn't meant I should have to take that risk. Is this a "I have to take the risk so you do too!" kind thing? This is not $5 for a movie ticket, this is $50.

But whatever. You think its wrong, I think its right. Maybe if they released a demo at the same time...

Anyway, the whole deal about this game is to make you buy new hardware. I'm sure that hl2 and doom3 have already been paid a few times with all the advertisement, the coupons and all that crap.  Wether you buy it or not, sure most of us have upgraded to be sure to play those next gen games at high details. 

I'll sure won't believe all those biased reviews thats says that it's even better than we expected, it is not.
Veteran Rifleman

I just pulled the trigger on it at amazon.com so I can see what all the fuss is about. I have a fealing I'll be buying another 256 stick of ram once I get the game...
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

I just got it today.  Had to call around, but I managed to track the last copy down at EBX.

The good.  Generally scarry to play with the lights off and the volume up.  You must have 5.1 sound, to hear things bash around behind you is just awesome.
You're on edge the whole time playing.  Monsters come out from dark corners, they bust out from under the stairs, they climb around on the celing, they lunge at you when you open doors.  There are the classic horror movie tricks where something falls down and you think it's a monster and you turn to find out its just a wall panel or something.

The bad so far.  You have to really dig to find bad in this game.  For one, I could really use a secondary fire to bash some hell zombie skull's with the butt of whatever gun I so happen to be dealing death with.  The lighting system is beautiful.  You whip out your flashlight and shadows show realistically off of railings and the like.  But when you shine your flashlight at a shadow that is already on the ground, it just sort of dims.  It doesn't fully go away.  Not at high detail anyway.

I've only played it for about an hour and a half but this is the most fun i've had with a videogame in a long time.
Yo
Veteran Rifleman

Can you "aim" the guns, like in Farcry?
Sharpshooter
Swaid

geise wrote:
Can you "aim" the guns, like in Farcry?

No, because there is no recoil like Farcry has.  You can zoom in slightly as what would happen in Farcy with what you call "aim" feature.  From what I have played so far (I am at the first "Hell" level) I am enjoying this game much more then a did with Farcry.  Then again you have to take some breaks or you risk a heart attack!  :smileytongue:

INTEL | C2Q Q9300
ASUS | P5E-VM HDMI
G.SKILL | 2GBx4 (8GB) F2-8500CL5D
ASUS | EAH4850
SEAGATE | 2X 500GB SATAII (RAID 0)
ASUS | DRW-2014S1T DVD-+R/W
SILVERSTONE | SG02B-F
SILVERSTONE | ST50EF-SC 500W PSU
DELL | 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Green Cadet
psh1ft

Argh. *stalks around on peg leg; a clearly wealthy parrot perched atop his shoulder*

Anyone disappointed with the game? It's all too dark, and the gameplay is supremely irksome and unoriginal. A generous 7/10 for me.

Also, ideally you would have more than 512 MB RAM for this game, or else there's some hitching, but that's just as present at 1024 x 768 as it is at 1280 x 1024. The resolution shouldn't really be affected by the amount of memory in your system.
Conscript
the fly

[ Edited ]

I am installing the game now. I hope it runs ok on my gf4200 64MB.

EDIT:

Well, it runs. It's fairly playable on 800x600 and medium settings. Anything above that slows the game down to a crawl. Also, the shading looks like crap. Actually reminds me of Gouraud shading :smileytongue:

I have to get a better gfx card, do you think a radeon 9800PRO 128MB will manage to run the game at high settings and 1024x768?

Message Edited by the fly on 08-04-2004 06:15 PM

286 16MHz O/Ced to 20MHz
Trident 256KB gfx
13" green monochromatic display
1MB RAM (4*256KB)
SoundBlaster 1.0
12MB hdd
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

the fly wrote:

I have to get a better gfx card, do you think a radeon 9800PRO 128MB will manage to run the game at high settings and 1024x768?

Message Edited by the fly on 08-04-2004 06:15 PM

Yes, wonderfully.  I run it at 1024, high settings and it's more than fast enough.

The more I play this game, the more it dawns on me that we have reached a new level of videogames.  The animation of the zombie and wall crawly things are amazing.  Like, something you would see in a cut scene, but you're actually playing. 

Those spiders, which by all accounts should be lame, are just awesome to hear tappity taping up behind you- Like a ball peen hammer on rocks in the distance.  Sometimes you can hear them, and see a shadow, but your not exactly sure where they are going to poke up from.

Some people on the main page were wondering about how slow the game is.  We were all lead to believe that there wouldn't be very many enemies on the screen at once, due to how much detail they had.  I think thats where the spiders come in.  They tend to pour out of wall holes and drop from the ceilings in fairly large numbers, conviently while you are battling an imp or a couple zombie marines.

Basically I'm in love with Doom3 and I want to have it's babies.

Yo
Conscript
dback618

what i want to know..should i get another stick of 512 mb ram? i have a 9600 pro and i just want to know if the graphic card is gonna be enough of a bottleneck that another stick of ram won't let me play at a higher setting anyway... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P4C 2.8GHZ 512MB Geil PC3200 9600 PRO Asus P4P800E-DeLuX
P4C 2.8ghz 1GB Geil PC3200 P4P800E-Delux 9600 PRO 80GB Maxtor
Veteran Rifleman

I'll probably be getting another 512 myself, so you won't be alone if you do :smileyhappy:
Raw Recruit
bluemagic

Trogdor wrote:
I would wager that 90% (or more) of people that "just downloaded the game to try it" end up no buying the game. Maybe none of them would have purchased the game anyway (because they're cheap-ass freeloaders), but that still doesn't make it okay.

Who knows how close you are to the real statistics of people who pirate games with the 'intention' of buying, but that logic only works with movies and music, not so well with games.  There's one thing that no review can really tell you, which is how well a game is going to play on your computer.  Right now no reviews (that I know of) show benchmarks of realistic hardware, instead just sticking to the $400 cards trying to push people to upgrade.  Sure, some reviews may eventually show some realistic hardware benchmarks, but again it will never be exactly what you have.  I 'obtained' a copy of Doom 3 yesterday and I am glad I didn't buy it yet, because it doesn't run well enough to warrant purchasing.  Once I upgrade I will purchase it, not only to support the developers but also to play online. 
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

bluemagic wrote:
Who knows how close you are to the real statistics of people who pirate games with the 'intention' of buying, but that logic only works with movies and music, not so well with games.  There's one thing that no review can really tell you, which is how well a game is going to play on your computer.  Right now no reviews (that I know of) show benchmarks of realistic hardware, instead just sticking to the $400 cards trying to push people to upgrade.  Sure, some reviews may eventually show some realistic hardware benchmarks, but again it will never be exactly what you have.  I 'obtained' a copy of Doom 3 yesterday and I am glad I didn't buy it yet, because it doesn't run well enough to warrant purchasing.  Once I upgrade I will purchase it, not only to support the developers but also to play online. 

Dammit man, don't justify downloading a game.  It's wrong.  People do wrong things, but just don't rationalize it.  HardOCP put up a review on July 29th going in depth with virtually all videocards.  Average FPS on the minimum hardware, 22 FPS @640x480.   You act like it was going to be some sort of suprise that Doom3 was going to rape your machine through it's pants.
Yo
Raw Recruit
bluemagic

Dammit man, don't justify downloading a game.  It's wrong.  People do wrong things, but just don't rationalize it.  HardOCP put up a review on July 29th going in depth with virtually all videocards.  Average FPS on the minimum hardware, 22 FPS @640x480.   You act like it was going to be some sort of suprise that Doom3 was going to rape your machine through it's pants.

"There is no doubt that DOOM 3’s minimum system specifications can easily deliver a good gaming experience. We found it simply incredible that a system this old could run DOOM 3 at all, much less run it well. It may be hard to believe, but we can honestly recommend spending $50 on DOOM 3 if you have a system comparable to this. You can still have a very worthy DOOM 3 experience with it." -HardOCP

LIES
Well, okay, it's not that simple.  I have the minimum requirements for a processor (just barely at 1.5 Athlon XP), 1GB PC2100 ddr when they say 384 is the minimum, and I have a AIW 9800 PRO 128mb vid card when they recommend at least 64mb.  The average FPS they were getting on the minimum requirements, like you stated, is 22.  Since when is 22 a 'good' gaming experience?  Most people would agree that 30fps is the minimum acceptable frame rate. 

Point being, a 'good' gaming experience is subjective.  The solution?  A DEMO.  It won't detour everyone from pirating, but it would detour people like me who want to see for there own how a game will run on their hardware. 

*Oh, and I did go out to buy Doom 3 yesterday, alas everywhere I went it was sold out :smileytongue:
Regular Infantry
In-Tel

[ Edited ]

bluemagic wrote:

...  I 'obtained' a copy of Doom 3 yesterday and I am glad I didn't buy it yet, because it doesn't run well enough to warrant purchasing.  Once I upgrade I will purchase it, not only to support the developers but also to play online. 

If I already have a 'copy' of Doom3, why would I purchase it. Just to show support, just for the sake of it, when they can't even see it? I don't know how you rationalize that one. [edit] Oh ok, to redeem your quilty conscience.

Message Edited by In-Tel on 08-04-2004 07:48 PM

------AMD X2 3800, 6800 GS AGP, 2048 DDR333
OLD SPEC
AMD XP2100, 6800 GS AGP(from Radeon 9700), 1024 PC2100(from 512) 2x 3D increase for 300 dollars------

Raw Recruit
bluemagic

If I already have a 'copy' of Doom3, why would I purchase it. Just to show support, just for the sake of it, when they can't even see it? I don't know how you rationalize that one. [edit] Oh ok, to redeem your quilty conscience.

Message Edited by In-Tel on 08-04-2004 07:48 PM

I would purchase the full product because it's rare that a quality PC title is released, and eventually this market will cease to exist if no one makes a profit.  And as stated before, I would buy the full copy to play it online as well. 

Regardless, it really doesn't matter why I purchase it, as long as I do.  Was that edit of yours supposed to be slanderous in some way?  If it is because of a guilty conscience, who gives a damn?  I'm buying the game.
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

Way to go.  What is the ratio of pirated games to bought now?  35:2?
Yo
Green Cadet
Thorn1001

Well me personally if I get a game and like it i buy it.If I dont like it I delete it from my computer.To me its like buying a car.You always check under the hood and take it for a test drive.the demos thaqt come out are not like the real game like in the case of Farcry which I bought.Why should I have to waste my money and time if I dont like it?
My computer:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
E8500@4.1 cpuv 1.3
260GTX 700/1400/2400
X-fi Gamer
Antec Earthwatts 650
Veteran Rifleman
SuicideInvoice

Thorn1001 wrote:
Well me personally if I get a game and like it i buy it.If I dont like it I delete it from my computer.To me its like buying a car.You always check under the hood and take it for a test drive.the demos thaqt come out are not like the real game like in the case of Farcry which I bought.Why should I have to waste my money and time if I dont like it?

That car analogy doesn't work my friend.  You probably download the game, and either beat it or get bored of it right?  Then when you know you'll never play it anymore, you delete it off of your hard drive but most likely keep a 'backup' copy on a CD.  The analogy of watching a move works much better.  The previews are missleading sometimes.  That still doens't give you the right to download it and watch it for free.

You're missing the big point here.  You don't HAVE to buy the game.  If you're not sure you'll like it, then don't buy it.  That still doesn't justify stealing.

And, for the record, I've downloaded plenty of games/apps.  I still remember one of the first.  It was the original Tribes.  Back when more people were playing it online than the number of copies they have sold.  But the difference between you and I is that I won't try and justify it.  It's wrong any way you look at it.  And if I was to get into trouble, It would be my own damn fault.

Yo
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info