FiringSquad Home
Home News THE MATRIX Deals Hardware '>Games Features Media Products Forums
Human Shield
FiSH

CoD Black Ops 2 slated for holiday release

Don't everybody be blown away at once!  I know this us huge news, but you must contain your excitement.  This is a public forum.

Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

Re: CoD Black Ops 2 slated for holiday release

[ Edited ]

Just how much more mediocrity can they possibly cook up? And my least favorite CoD... brilliant.

Photobucket
Read My Posts At Your Risk
sqitso

Well.. they can't really make a COD MW4.. at least not without an original story line.. they pretty much killed everyone that mattered in MW3..  I didn't care for Black Ops that much.. Like WW2, Vietnam games kind of suck now. I dunno.. I am hoping for great things with Ghost Recon.. hopefully I wont even need Black Ops 2

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

Pic is broken for me Sync and the URL redirects to Funnyjunk. I wanna see how mediocre it is! 

Also if they aren't updating the engine, no buy for me. BF3 definitely has the engine edge on CoD. I would say they have to step up their game to compete, but they really don't. CoDFags will buy it no matter what.

I remember back in CoD and CoD 2 days.... :smileytongue: 

Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

[ Edited ]

Stalker_Loner wrote:

Pic is broken for me Sync and the URL redirects to Funnyjunk. I wanna see how mediocre it is! 

Bah, shit website. I don't like having to upload all my crap to Photobucket.

Photobucket
sqitso

This one is just too easy.. I'm already 7th prestige and I really don't play that much. I remember MW2 where prestiging was an actual challenge 

Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

I would say there isn't any challenge after the first few levels of a new Prestige when you get some better weapons and unlocks going. Then it's just a grind to 50 again, and again, and again till Prestige 15. Meh. 

Also that pic made me and a few friends laugh. That's basically how the nearest Wal-Marts will look at the midnight releases. I'm not going to bother getting excited. It's just CoD. Hasn't changed all that much since MW4. Some might argue CoD 2, since MW4 is essentially a modernized CoD 2. *shrug*

Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

[ Edited ]

CoD4 was far more than a modernized CoD 2. Besides BF2, it was one of the first AAA games to lead the charge out from the endless WWII shooters. It significantly improved the multiplayer by integrating persistent RPG aspects and had a fairly intense and interesting story, including one of the first instances where the player character inevitably dies. That was groundbreaking. CoD4 made modern combat accessible to the masses; not just a training simulator for the actual military or an exercise in frustration with CSS.

It was only after CoD4 did Call of Duty become the new Halo and a derivative mockery of itself -- a victim of its own success.

Photobucket
Sharpshooter
Stalker_Loner

I disagree, personally. Yeah it may have helped the WW2 stalemate, but now it's started a modern shooter-fest that is worse yet. Other games around the same time did the same thing, MW just did it in such a way that interested people more than BF2 and similar games. The story was okay, but out of other heavily story based games, it's flimsy. I'm pretty positive there must be a game released before it that featured the player character dead later in the game. As for the RPG elements, they shot themselves in the foot by making it locally stored information. This meant that people could simply replace some registry entries and a couple files and have a level 50 account and golden skins. Also if you're PC crashed unexpectedly, woops, you lost your progress. Yikers. 

But I will agree that it's now sold itself out like a cheap hooker. I can't even describe how I'm not looking forwards to Halo 4 (Disliked 2 due to different expectations, 3 was okay, ODST and Reach were awful) and like I said prior, Black Ops 2 will need a pretty heafty update for me to be interested. 

Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

[ Edited ]

I don't find modern shooters to be worse. If anything, they are immensely better than WWII shooters which are constrained to a preset historical narrative. Modern day shooters can at least can be imaginative. I love it mostly for the speculative fiction (Tom Clancy-esque-ness). As for the story, it was nonexistent, but rather it's the narrative, direction, and pacing of the game that told an exhilerating tale. Subsequent CoD games have given up on that and merely resort to blowing up big set pieces with no breathing in between. And I'm certain there was such an instance in other games but they're mostly an ending or a temporary twist. As for the RPG mechanics, sure, you could cheat but that takes the fun out of the game. I only resorted to it after reinstalling.  Subsequent games have since addressed it.

CoD4 wasn't a height of video gaming, but it was a mighty fine game that presented a very polished experience with immense potential. Sadly, it was squandered with the fear of messing with a successful formula... and I can't blame them. A billion dollars in profit per game? Ho-ly shit.

Photobucket
sqitso

Well...my opinion is BF3 sucks ass.. flaming aside.. I play what I'm dealt.. which is MW3.. I am praying for Ghost Recon to change the scene but I just found out that Ghost Recon is gonna have Kinect bullshit with it.. so you can run around with a gun and point at the screen and go "bang bang" and crap like that. Sounds gimicky.. and I am really worried.

Human Shield
FiSH

[ Edited ]

At least the targets in the CoD series have consistently been fun to shoot. While I've enjoyed the different iterations of Halo's multiplayer, the aliens in the campaign have never been fun to shoot. I haven't finished a single Halo campaign since the first one because of this, and I've attempted all of them.

Granted, I never finished World at War or Black Ops either.  Both got boring.  I have enjoyed the MW series to date though and I intend on playing through MW3 at some point.  Until now, I've just been playing online.  And I'm enjoying it too.

Veteran Rifleman
Harvester

Well I partly disagree, Fish. I'm playing the PC version of Halo 1 right now (I'm near the end, 2 chapters to go) and I do think the aliens are fun enough to shoot. The gameplay of Halo is perfectly fine to me. I like how the different enemies require different tactics and weapons. Other things I like about Halo are the way enemies are flung around by grenades, the fact that the different factions are also enemies of each other and will fight each other, and the vehicles you can command.

The weak point of Halo (the first one at least, don't know about the sequels) is the level design. Outdoors it's okay, but the indoor environments are way too bland and repetitive. There are hardly any distinctive details, it's just hallway - generic nondescript room - hallway - generic room very similar to last room - etc. The environments repeat themselves way too much without enough distinctive elements to set them apart. I've just finished the Two Betrayals chapter which was basically stuff from previous chapters in reverse.

Still, I'm having enough fun with it to play it to the end, despite my pretty strong dislike for checkpoint-based saves. At least the checkpoints in Halo are reasonably placed though.

-------------------
sqitso

Harvester wrote:

Well I partly disagree, Fish. I'm playing the PC version of Halo 1 right now (I'm near the end, 2 chapters to go) and I do think the aliens are fun enough to shoot. The gameplay of Halo is perfectly fine to me. I like how the different enemies require different tactics and weapons. Other things I like about Halo are the way enemies are flung around by grenades, the fact that the different factions are also enemies of each other and will fight each other, and the vehicles you can command.

The weak point of Halo (the first one at least, don't know about the sequels) is the level design. Outdoors it's okay, but the indoor environments are way too bland and repetitive. There are hardly any distinctive details, it's just hallway - generic nondescript room - hallway - generic room very similar to last room - etc. The environments repeat themselves way too much without enough distinctive elements to set them apart. I've just finished the Two Betrayals chapter which was basically stuff from previous chapters in reverse.

Still, I'm having enough fun with it to play it to the end, despite my pretty strong dislike for checkpoint-based saves. At least the checkpoints in Halo are reasonably placed though.

I agree and disagree.. mostly because I was weened on Doom and Quake multiplayer.. I am a traditionalist and like a good color vs color deathmatch. In the old days teams where easy to identify.. if you where blue.. kill read.. It was a standard for years and even Halo carried that tradition. Nothing more frustrating then getting killed by someone you where already aiming at, but you didn't soot because you just couldn't identify the team they where on.. but the thing that I think killed Halo MP for me.. is it's speed. I'm sorry, I know there are tons of MP players out there that think MP on Halo is the greatest thing around.. but it is PAINFULLY slow and dull. The speed of everything is something only a child could love. If it had been as fast paced as Quake or Doom 2 or even Counter Strike I would probably still play it.. but running around like you have lead in your shoes.. and floating when you jump around IS SO F*CKING STUPID! There was absolutely no reason Halo MP could not have been fast paced.. The dev's are just morons.

Veteran Rifleman
Harvester

Yeah, for the single player campaign the speed is fine, but I can imagine it being too slow for fun multiplayer battles.

-------------------
Human Shield
FiSH

[ Edited ]

It's all a matter of taste, I guess. Again, I remember loving the original Halo when I played it on PC for the first time. I attempted the Halo 2 campaign maybe 3 times and lost interest each time. For me, the Halos start off cool enough but do little to hold my interest after while. I've always found the multiplayer to be fun though. I've certainly logged in a good number of hours online with all of them.

I do prefer faster paced multiplayer when it comes to shooters though. The Quakes and Unreals had the pacing about right for me. Sadly, you don't get that kind of pacing in today's games. CoD's not too far from it, and it seems to be one of the few that have held on to straight up deathmatch which I love. Still, it does lack that old school feel to it that FEAR, of all games, managed to get right.

Regular Infantry
werepossum

I actually like COD: MW, but I'll pick it up when it hits $20, maybe $25.  If I played MP I'd play BF3, and $60 is way too much for a five hour campaign.

Wake me up when another STALKER comes out.  That I'll pay for price for.

Human Shield
FiSH

I own both STALKER's, but haven't tried to fire either of them up. I bought the first game right when it came out, but it was unplayable. I'm assuming that the Steam versions today work fine?
Manslaughterer
Synchronous Failure

FiSH wrote:
I own both STALKER's, but haven't tried to fire either of them up. I bought the first game right when it came out, but it was unplayable. I'm assuming that the Steam versions today work fine?

The patches made them perfect and the mods doubly so.

Photobucket
Human Shield
FiSH

^ Good to know. Thanks!
---
FiringSquad Forums Powered by: View our server info & View our server info